Today's recipe comes from co-sister(it helps having a co-sister who is a good cook and who lives stone throw away). Dosa's are an Indian favorite especially South Indian, Go to any south Indian home the chances are you would find dosa batter and in only about few minutes its whipped into a delicious savory crape with variety of fillings and served with delicious condiments and chutneys.
1 Cup steel cut oats
1/2 cup Channa dal, Urad dal, Moong dal, Red Masoor dal(optional) , Toor dal each
3~4 stems of fresh curry leaves
4~5 red chillies (adjust according to your taste)
ginger about a size of a quarter
2 tbsp of Jeera/Cumin seeds
Salt according to taste
pinch of Asafoetida/Hing
1 cup fresh coriander leaves (optional)
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
2~3 tbsp finely chopped green chilies
2~3 tbsp finely chopped ginger
1. Soak oats, dals,curry leaves, ginger and red chilies in a bowl for a minimum of 4 hours
2. Grind into a fine paste, add fresh coriander, salt ,hing and water as needed
3. Batter should be of consistency where it spreads well on the tava and not runny.
5. Add little bit of oil to the edges to make it crispy
6. Add chopped onion, green chilies and ginger. Optionally you can grated carrot, coriander and nuts like cashew.
7. Let is roast for a minute or two and the turn over for a quick 30 secs and roll into a perfect crispy Dosa.
Relish with your choice of chutney such a Peanut Chutney and/or Sambar. Batter stays fresh for about 3~4 days when refrigerated. Hope you would love this version, please do leave feedback should it try it.
Here is wishing everyone an healthy and a happy new year once again.