Friday, March 9, 2007

Bhel



Its Friday evening , with cold wind and a cup of hot tea all I crave to eat now is Chaat .There is something magical during the time when sun is setting , not to hot not to cold just perfect for a small stroll in the park or around the neighbourhood with kids and to add if it's Friday seems like the whole world is moving slowly at a breathable pace.

The closet place to get decent chaat from where I live is about 15miles , so the next best alternative is to make one myself ,so here is where Bhel fills in the void . For most of the time I buy the store Bhel mix and make is special by adding lots of veggies .

I remember my days in Bangalore , day never ended without a trip to BDA complex in Banshankari 2nd stage . It was an amazing site to sit on the complex steps with a plate of my favorite sev puri , and watch a steady stream people pass by , there were college kids from the neighbouring medical and engineering hostels , aunties with bags full of fresh vegetables , and kids crying for that extra ride on the train/monkey. How much every I try I can never get that taste , for now I am going to be happy with my version

Ingredients
1 cup finely cut onions
1 cup finely cut cucumber
1 cup finely cut mango
1 cup finely cut tomatoes
1 cup grated carrot
1 cup finely chopped cilantro
1 cup anaar dhaana ( pomogrante seeds)
1 cup cubed boiled potatoes
1 green chill chopped very finely
1 tbsp lemon juice

1 cup Bhel mix ( I usually get store brought , you can make a mix by adding sev ,puffed rice ,pani puri crushed ,peanuts and any other left over namkeens)

Bhel mix
I get dry bhel mix from local Indian stores this can be made at home by adding dates chutney , green chutney ,black salt /rock salt , chaat masala , chili powder ,amchur (dry mango powder)

Mix all the above ingredients and sprinkle sev and cilantro .enjoy with a nice book and a cup of hot tea.
This is a perfect appetizer for a party ,pre cut all the vegetables ,keep sev and Bhel chuntey in a line and whip up like a pro for your special friends the way they wanted and top it with corriander and I promise your friends will come asking for more.


0 comments:

 
Web Statistics