Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Pulla Mavidikaya Pachadi /Raw Mango Coconut Chutney

Mango Coconut Chutney

When fresh tender sour Mangoes hit the markets ,on a daily basis it was cooked in my grandparents house in one form or the other , be it dal , fresh pickle , chutney, Mango rice , or just eaten raw with chili powder , because of these variations you never get bored even when cooked daily . However in States its practically impossible to get sour Mangoes ,most of them are tender and sweetish in taste .This chutney is one of my favorites . made with 2 simple ingredients and seasoning ,this makes for one yummy dish .


Ingredients
1 raw mango peeled and grated
1 cup fresh grated coconut
2 chilies (adjust according to spice level)
coriander leaves
salt according to taste
Haldi (Turmeric )

for seasoning

1 tbsp urad dal
1 tbsp mustard
1 tbsp jeera
2 Red chiles
Hing
8-10 curry leaves

Process

1.grind Mango, Coconut, haldi, G.chillies ,coriander into a fine paste add salt and keep a side
2. take a pan add 1 tbsp oil and when hot add all the seasoning ,when mustard starts to splutter ,add this seasoning to Mango paste
3.mix well and serve

This is best eaten with Rice ,can be eaten with Roti's too

7 comments:

sunita's world said...

Hi Sreelu, the chutney looks delicious...

Asha said...

Hi Sreelu,looks yummy.Where do you get raw mangoes in here you guys?!I don't get them at all.

Meeta said...

That must be a totally flavorful dish Sreelu! I love both mangoes and coconut. Just a quick question. can we make this with ripe mangoes too?

Esther said...

Hi Sri, Its a good web log you have there. Incidently I cooked Mango and Dal yesterday after a long long time. It come out just the way how my grand mother used to cook back home. Fortunately, I found raw, sour mangoes the other day in one of the Tamil Stores. So I grabbed them without making a mistake. My husband is not too much for sour, but even he enjoyed this time. I should try your Mango - Coconut pickle soon. Should try the Dahi Misti also. May be I should join you bloggers with an Non-Vegeterian food blog.

Dr. Soumya Bhat said...

Lovely recipe.we also prepare this in summer season when fresh mangoes come to market.

Sushma said...

Hello Sreelu....this is my kind of food...easy to make and tantlizes your tounge..

loved the recpe...Thanxs so much for sharing
-Sushma

Sreelu said...

Meeta,

This chutney tastes the best with sour raw mangoes, however you can add lemon juice to substitue.

Asha,

I stay in Bayarea and getting raw mango is pretty much a rarity ,however once in a while I find some in local Chineese store.

Sushma, Sunitha,Soumya ,

Thanks for your comments

Esther Dear ,

Dal tasting like gradma's must be very very yummy .


Sridevi

 
Web Statistics