Thursday, March 29, 2007

Vankaya Chikkudukaya Kura (Eggplant Val Papdi (flat bean) Sabji)

Vankaya Chikkudukaya Kura (Eggplant Val Papdi (flat bean) Sabji)

Eggplant is one of my favorites,I don't cook this often because rest at home hate egpplant. This dish is very common in Andhra Weddings, growing up I never used to like it either but slowly started to like it.I used frozen val papdi as fresh ones are pretty rare to get. This can be done in many variations ,one way is to add corriander chutney another way is to add Karam Podi( a spice mixture ).I had some leftover chutney from my tindora sabji so put it in good use :)

Ingredients
3 Egg Plants (thin tall ones) cubed
1 big tomato
2 cups frozen val papdi ( fresh ones if available)
For coriander chutney
1/2 bunch coriander
Juice of 1/2 lemon
salt according to taste
2-3 Green chilies ( adjust according to taste)

For thadka
1 tbsp urad dal
1 tbsp mustard
1 tbsp jeera
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
2 Red chilies
8-10 curry leaves

Process
1. Defrost val papdi and microwave for about 3 minutes on high
2.Take a pan when hot add a tbsp of oil,add all the ingredients for tadhka
3. Add tomato and fry a little add haldi
4. add defrosted val papdi and eggplant ,add salt,coriander chutney and a little water
5. mix well and cook covered for about 8-9 minutes
6. check eggplants

serve hot

2 comments:

Asha said...

I love Eggplants and Val Papdis too.Where did you get those? YUM!! I will see if I can get frozen too.Looks great Sreelu,thanks.

Sreelu said...

Asha,

We get the frozen vap papdi in grocery stores in bayarea ,its packaged by deep foods.For me it comes very close to actual

 
Web Statistics