Sunday, March 18, 2007

Weekend Update

Weekend Update

Had a block party to wish one of our neighbors bon voyage who are moving back to India, I love potlucks for the facts that with different dishes that come to the table there is almost always a tale associated with a dish, how did they learn to make it, tragedies on their first attempts, how their moms made it and pretty much many alternatives on how it can be modified to make it much easier and so on. There is something new for me to learn , with every potluck , like yesterday learnt that to get the smoky taste of Brinjal/Eggplant it can be roasted whole on a non stick pan , this will save a lot of time in clean up unlike the traditional way of roasting directly on fire . Also an Begali dessert Misti Dahi that practically is as easy as mixing up three ingredients , made Chole and Vegetable Biryani for the potluck

Cholay

A staple Punjabi main course dish, learnt this recipe from a Punjabi aunty who was an awesome cook, This can be eaten with Rice and Roti and is usually topped with red onions and lemon wedges.


Ingredients

1 Cup Garbanzo Beans
2 medium size Potatoes ,peeled and cubed
1 big tomato cut into small cubes
2 red onions sliced thinly
2 tbsp Ginger Garlic paste
1 tbsp pepper
1 Tbsp Red chilli powder
2 tbsp Channa Masala
1 tbsp Turmeric (Haldi)
Juice of 1 lemon

Process

  1. Soak Garbanzo beans over night
  2. Pressure cook Garbanzo beans ,Potato add salt and Haldi
  3. In a separate pan add 2 tbsp oil , add haldi and Ginger garlic paste fry a till onions turn translucent
  4. Add tomates , Channa masala , Red chilli powder and pepper
  5. Add boiled Garbanzo beans ,keep aside a small cup of boiled beans
  6. Grind the small cup of beans into a fine paste
  7. Add the above paste to the rest of channa and allow to cook for few minutes
  8. add lemon juice and garnish with coriander
  9. serve hot with Roti or rice , top with red onion and lemon juice

Misti Dahi

Misti Dahi is a Bengali delicacy ,this is a instant version of this dessert . Its as simple as 1-2-3 .This was made by a dear friend and neighbour


Ingredients

2 cups Yogurt (Dahi)
1 Cup Condensed milk
1 cup Evaporated milk

Process

1. Pre Heat oven to 350 C
2. Mix all the above ingredients
3. Pour the mixture into a baking dish
4. Bake the above in a oven for about 30 minutes ,check for doness ( when pricked with a tooth pick , it should come out clean )
Chill in the refrigerator and serve cold

6 comments:

Rinky said...

wonderful site, loved the recipes, photos..good job..please post the mangoe pie recipe too..

Coffee said...

HEY!!!!! I always wanted to learn how to make mishti dahi...... Thanks for that dear. :)

Welcome to the world of blogging.... you have a nice blog there. :)

www.mykhazanaofrecipes.wordpress.com

Nageswara rao said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nani said...

photo kummavu..ee weekend ee reciepe tappakunda try chestha..
Can put a reciepe of one of your express curries..

Sreelu said...

Nani , let me know how it goes

Rashmi Gopalakrishna said...

Hi Sreelu,
I came across your blog while reading through Kalyan Verma's website. My husband being a hobby photographer, has inspired me to visit Kalyan's website on regular basis. Your blog sounded interesting, read through some of the recepies. I must say some of the pictures are really yummy looking :)
I live in Virginia and one of my interests is also cooking. After my school I had my first son, so during my 9 months of pregnancy, I put a book together with over 1000 recepies I have been collecting from last few years. Some are inherited from grand mother,my mother, mother-in-law. Some are taken from various books, website with my own modifications to fit my family needs. My book is still in hand written form and now that I am expecting my second son, I plan to transfer them to an electronic version. I am not sure if I will be able to achieve the target before my delivery but I must say your blog has inspired me to at lest start the process.
You have done a real fine job and I just wanted you to congratulate you for your work. I must say you have earned a new regluar visitor to your blog. You can contact me at rashmi_nag@hotmail.com.

 
Web Statistics