Monday, April 16, 2007

Brussels Sprouts

Brussels Sprouts
Brussels sprouts does not fall into "my favorite vegetables" category for lots of folks, and the main reason for that is the unpleasant smell of these tiny miniature cabbages.Brussels sprouts belong to Cabbage family and are a winter vegetables.They contain good amounts of vitamin A, vitamin C, folic acid and dietary fiber.But when cooked correctly these turn delicious and have an excellent nutty and crunchy flavor.

( Image courtesy wiki)
I generally use frozen petite Brussels sprouts from the frozen section of grocery stores and these cook much faster then the fresh ones.
Key ingredient to today's recipe is flavored salts.Flavored salts elevate the tasty of any dish.I used garlic lemon salt for today's dish

Ingredients
1 cup frozen petite Brussels sprouts
2 tbsp Olive oil (substitute Pam or any non stick oil)
1 tbsp fresh ground black pepper
1 tbsp Flavored salts ( I used Lemon Garlic sea salt)

Process
1. heat a pan with 2 tbsp Olive oil
2. when hot add frozen Brussels
3. cook covered for 2 minutes
4. remove the cover and stir fry till Brussels turn golden brown color
5. add salt and fresh ground pepper
6. mix well

Serve hot, this makes a nice snack or a matter of fact dinner.The whole cup of Brussels has 0 calories ,so one yummy dish packed with vitamins and fat free.

3 comments:

Asha said...

How perfectly roasted Brussels sprouts! Looks great Sreelu.

bee said...

you grew that? wow. this is my fav way to eat brussel sprouts as well.

Sreelu said...

Asha,

Thanks for the comments. I loved them roasted

Bee,

No those are not from my yard, though I wish they were.I tried my hand at them only to realize that snails love them and have eaten them faster than you can imagine

 
Web Statistics