Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Lasooni Palak (Garlic Spinach Sabji)

Lasooni Palak (Garlic Spinach Sabji)

Lasooni Palak

Spinach is cooked almost once a week in our house, each time in different form and variations. Some times its dal/pappu some times its Sabji and sometimes with paneer what ever be the form its enjoyed by everyone at home.

Best part of cooking with Spinach its a easy and quick to cook , garlic and spinach go very well earthy taste of Spinach and sweetness of roasted garlic make an excellent combination.

For me growing up I never got a chance to cook nor was I interested in cooking, but I sure enjoyed cooking shows in TV one of them being Sanjeev Kapoor's Khana Khazana. I would always write down the recipes even if I never made it.Today's recipe is from one of those collections, although Sanjeev Kapoor recipe included cream to be added at the end I kind of skipped for obvious reasons.

Ingredients
1 bunch of Spinach (Palak)
8-10 cloves of Garlic (sliced thinly)
1/2 Onion cut into small peices
1 tspn Jeera
1 tsnp Urad dal
1 tspn Mustard seeds
2-3 red chilies
1 tspn Haldi
1 tspn Red Chili powder

Process
1. Heat a tbsp of Olive oil in a pan, when hot add urad dal, jeera, Mustard seeds, R.chilies, curry leaves, garlic and Onion
2. fry till Onions turn translucent, add spinach and salt.
3. Mix all of the ingredient well, takes about 3-4 minutes.

Serve hot with rice or roti's. This will be my entry to Indira Jihva for Ingredients (JFI),Going Green with Green Leafy Vegetables.

Also on a different note, was listening to NPR today and I was pretty excited to hear that Jonathan Gold a restaurant critique from LA weekly mostly writing about less known and off beat restaurant was awarded Pulitzer Prize for his Odes to Greasy Spoons.Click here to listen to podcast/interview. He has very interesting take on food and mostly loves to write about ethnic food.

4 comments:

Asha said...

Oooh!! I like those big chunks of garlic there.I think Nupur made the same too.Looks great Sreelu.I love the link too,I will check it out:)

Pelicano said...

That's a garlic-lovers paradise that you have there! I was attracted right away...

Sukanya Ramkumar said...

Hi,
It is a nice recipe...... Full of garlic mmmmm...YUM!

Ruchi said...

Hi,

Yesterday I wanted to cook my Palak a bit different and found this recipe.......it was a great hit, everybody liked it very much. I did some minor variation though.......used mustard oil, added a pinch of methi dana, no red chilli powder but green chillies and less of garlic.

Thanks!!

Ruchi

 
Web Statistics