Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Baigan Bartha (Eggplant Chutney)

Baigan Bharta


Eggplant is something I love but cook very so often because it's not liked by rest at home. I usually make stuffed eggplant or gutti vankaya, eggplant with val papdi or today's recipe Bharta Baigan ka. I love the smoky and roasted taste of eggplant.
Though a it gets a little messy to roast directly on fire, learnt a trick to roast it on a tava instead of direct flame, this reduces clean up and its much easier.

Ingredients
2 violet colored eggplants (usually the long and tall ones)
1 big tomato ( I score the tomato and boil for about 30 seconds and peel the skin out)
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 tbsp urad dal
1 tbsp jeera
1 tbsp mustard seeds
1/2 bunch of corriander cleaned and chopped finely
8-10 curry leaves
1-2 green chilies depending upon spiciness
salt according to taste
1 tspn haldi

Process
1. roast eggplants either directly of fire or on a tava or in an oven
2. peel the skin off
3. in a pan add 2 tbsp of oil add jeera,urad,mustard, ginger garlic paste, g.chiles, and curry leaves
4. chopp peeled tomato finely and add to the above
5. add roasted eggplant and salt and haldi and corriander
6. mix well and fry for about 3-5 minutes

remove from heat and serve with roti's,phulkas,naan's or in my case today suka methi paratha

13 comments:

Meeta said...

Looks fab. I usually roast them in the oven - it's quick and easy and no mess!

sra said...

Sreelu, what is the other item at the back - corn, some beans ...?

Asha said...

I love Baingan in form or shape.Bring them on!!;D

bee said...

sreelu try this:

put the broiler on high. slice the big fat eggplant down the middle. line a baking sheet with foil and put a drop of oil oin the foil. put the eggplant halves cut side down on the foil. keep it under the broiler.

20 minutes for big, 12-15 minutes for small/medium. the skin will be charred, and the flesh will be soft. no jhanjhats.

TheCooker said...

Looks wonderful!

DEEPA said...

excellent one ...I have never made this ...Thks for sharing ..Will try it soon ...

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

Lovely!! I like anything made with eggplants :)

Cynthia said...

Thanks for the tip of roasting the eggplant on the tawah. It really makes a mess on the stove eh? I love experimenting with stuff so I recently constructed in little outdoor brick grill to be used with coals so when I go to the market this weekend, I am going to buy some brinjals to experiement with the roasting outdoors :)

Your dish really makes me miss my mom. She would love this dish.

Aruna said...

Sreelu, Love Baigan Bartha ur pic looks goood :-)

ushaprashanth said...

Hi sreelu!
This is the first time i knew about egg plant chutney!!!!! that's nice.

Mishmash ! said...

Hey Sreelu....saw your comment on mine but couldnt visit your blog till now as I had some probs with my sys.....looks like I have a lot to look around here....:) So had a good time at Yosemite, huh ?

Shn

Prema Sundar said...

Hi sreelu,
I too make baingan bartha but slightly different. I add onions and red chilli powder. ur method of bartha without onions looks nice and will try this the next time I make this..thanks

Vcuisine said...

I love brinjal in any form. This is great. Viji

 
Web Statistics