Monday, August 27, 2007

Punukulu/ Dosa Batter Dumplings

Punukulu/ Dosa Batter Dumplings


Not everyday that I make/feed deep fried stuff, but once in a while I believe its good to have some fat in terms of oil. Today's recipe is pretty standard back at home infact sometimes its eaten even as breakfast.These are called punukulu in Telugu also sold as street fare with various chutneys as accompaniments.My favorite chutney is ullikaram (Onion Chuntney) ,Bombay chutney or peanut chutney . Since it was made for kids specially today they munched these snack with ketchup.

This is quick ,fast and since its deep fried very delicious snack. My kids love it.
Works best when dosa batter is fresh out of the grinder.
Ingredients
1 cup fresh dosa batter (for dosa recipe check here)
2 big tbsp rice flour
2 big tbsp jeera
1/2 cup onion very finely cut (optional)
2-3 g.chilles cut very fine (optional)
oil for shallow frying
salt according to taste

Process
1. mix all the ingredients together to form a think batter
2. heat oil in pan for shallow frying
3. when oil is hot, add a spoon full of the mixture into hot oil ,allow it to fry for a minute on each side till they turn into golden color
4.exercise caution while handling hot oil

These have a golden color very crunchy on the outside and chewy /soft inside, jeera flavor pops into your mouth with the first. Serve hot with either this or this chutney or plain simple ketchup .

28 comments:

Madhu said...

Sreelu it has very nice golden colour, looks like savoury jamoon.
Nice and delicious entry

Lakshmi said...

Sreelu, I make something similar but do not deep fry them. Dosa batter is poured into the a pan which has holes in it. We call them paddu. You version looks crispy and delicious. Trying to imagine the aroma of it....Very nice.

Lakshmi said...

Btw, Akash calls them Dosa balls....a variation to eat!

Arts said...

That looks soooo inviting.. Wish I could grab some :D
SImple n Quick recipe.. Bookmarked!

Latha Narasimhan said...

Hi sreelu,
Nice snack!Must be tasting good with chutneys!

Asha said...

Sreelu , I make these too but your's is almost round!! I love it. Beautifully rised and golden.Very nice!:)

sra said...

Sreelu, we had this for snacks in the evening, chinnappati treats anni gurtu chestunnaru meeru varusaga.

TBC said...

Your dosa dumplings look so cute! :-)

Laavanya said...

They look so good Sreelu - very tempting indeed.

Manasi said...

Those look so very nice! must try!!

Rajitha said...

mmmm.. i feel like reaching intot he photo and grabbing the whole plate... ya, i do not want to share :)

swapna susarla said...

punukulu looking so yummy sreelu!!
Thanks for dropping by!!!

Padma said...

Sreelu, thats my all time favo...nice pics.they are really tempting me to grab few from your plate

Namratha said...

Hi Sreelu, these look so yummy!! I couldnt have read this at a better time...I have dosa batter on hand and would love to try this. But how do you spoon the batter, doesnt it lose shape when u add it to the oil?

Sreelu said...

@Madhu, Thanks !!

@Lakshmi, I know its called pogadalu in Telugu,dosa ball lol :)

@Arts, wish I could give you some too

@latha, tasted great with chutneys,try it

Sreelu said...

@Asha, used god given ladles to spoon the batter, hands i.e

@Sra, chiannupe a luxury deep fried tindaniki, eppudu tinali anna manasu oppadu.

@TBC & Lavanya, Thanks !!

@Manasi, Sure give it a shot, can promise that it will taste great

Sreelu said...

@Rajitha , bad girl what ever happend to stuff you learned at K-garten, just kidding,wish you could take a bit into it

@Swapna ,welcome to my blog & thanks !!

@Padma, wish you take few !!

Namratha,
Wow try it, I am actually very comfartable using my hands, I take a little bit of dough and drop a small sized batter into the oil. even with spoon you can still retain the shape,if the dough is too watery add a little bit of rice flour to make it thicker.
Let me know how it goes

Latha said...

They look so delicious and beautiful Sreelu! Asalu illanti treats manchi times ni gurthu chesthaayi!
Thanks for sharing, should make these for my kids sometime!
Cheers
Latha

Sirisha Kilambi said...

Sreelu looks very inviting dear....I love these Punukulu :-) yummmmm

Shankari said...

why do you do this to us, feel like having it right away, drool drool,slurp :)

Vcuisine said...

The Dumpligns are temptig Sreelu. Viji

Sukanya Ramkumar said...

Hi Sreelu...This looks great.... Nice picture...Perfect, cruncy snack...YUM!

Cynthia said...

That first photograph in particular make the dumplings leap out of my computer screen, it's as if I can touch them. They look so tasty, Sreelu.

Nags said...

u made that with dosa batter? wow! i have to try it now :D

Anu said...

So nice and tasty!! We make something called gundpangalu which is similar but made in a special pan with moulds :-)

Sharmi said...

have heard of it but never had them. will the batter absorb lot of oil? looks good though.

Mocha said...

Wow . I love recipes like this. Never made it or tasted it but xt time I make batter this recipe is going to be tried

Nithya Naveen said...

I love this recipe..

 
Web Statistics