Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Chinta Chiguru Pappu (Tender Tamarind Leaves Dal)

Chinta Chiguru Pappu (Tender Tamarind Leaves Dal)

There are some foods no matter how many Indian stores around you cannot find them, usually fall into the category of home/mom made pickles, curry powders but with this trip brought few stuff that don’t fall into the above category. You see there is this huge a big tamarind tree right across my parent’s home, this time got the tender tamarind leaves cut sun dried and sealed in vacuum seal pack. So it was time to make dal with the dried tender tamarind leaves, I was very skeptical since I love Chinta chiguru, to my surprise it just tasted like fresh and also got it natural light green color, so your’s truly was very pleased. So from now dried tender leaves will a part of my trip back to US.
Ingredients
1 cup dried tamarind leaves
1 cup toor dal boiled and mashed into a fine paste
½ cup of tamarind water
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
Salt
Haldi

For thadhka
1 tbsp urad dal
1 tbsp jeera
1 tbsp mustard seeds
A pinch of hing
8-10 curry leaves

Process
1.In a pan add a tbsp of oil add all the thadhka ingredients, ginger garlic paste when mustard seeds start to splutter add dried tamarind leaves
2.Add tamarind water to the above and allow it to cook covered for about 5 minutes till the leaves turn color. (optionally add water if required to cover the tamarind leaves)
3.Once the leaves have been boiled in tamarind juice add mashed toor dal paste, add salt and haldi.
4.Mix well and allow it to boil for another 6-8 minutes.


Serve with papad and challa mirapakaya along with hot steaming rice or in today case hot phulka’s .

29 comments:

TBC said...

Tamarind leaves? I never knew that it could be used in cooking & I have never even seen dried tamarind leaves before. Before I read the post, I thought it was tea leaves:-)
That dal looks yummy & I wish I could taste it.

Siri said...

Hi Sree,

me chinta chiguru pappu adurss.. :D... noru ooripoyindi anukondi..:)

Thanks for sharing...

Roopa said...

very interesting recipe!

Prema Sundar said...

Haven't heard of any dish using tamarind leaves... It should really taste good with dal. I just tried mango dal from indira and it tasted yum..same way this should be great too.

Cynthia said...

Tamarind leaves dal... mmmm new to me.

bee said...

i remember, on my way to school, i used to wait under a tamarind tree for the bus, and would nibble on the sour leaves. just adore them.

sra said...

You're v lucky, Srilu! i live in India and I still don't get chinta chiguru outside AP, must look for some tamarind trees!

Raaga said...

I so know what you mean... there are things I never cared about much... that I miss now :-)

Shyam said...

I've eaten fresh tamarind leaves... but where on earth did you get dry ones? Do you get this in the States?

Padma said...

Wow chinta chiguru pappu nooruristundi...I am really missing that here in US. Will have bring the dried ones from India this time...I love this dal and always cherish that tangy taste still tickling in my mind...Sreelu, Chala chala bagundi! If you are nearby I would have invited myself to have this

Asha said...

Last time I saw Tamarind leaves was 1989!!:D
Looks yum, mu grandmother used to dal with those too.

Sreelu said...

@TBC, Tamarind leaves tasty very tangy and are delicious, try it next time if u get a chance

@Siri, Thanka andi, naku kooda chala istam chinta chirugu

@roopa Thanks !!

Rina said...

Wow!!!!!! chinta kura, dorukuthunda meku akada? Nakaithe noru oorithundi..........

Sreelu said...

@Prema, yup it tastes simliar to mango dal very tangy

@Cyntiha, heh very tasty is all I can say

@Bee, just trying to imagine you in pigtails and trying to pull tamrind leaves lol :)

@Sra, I am surprised chinta chetulu through out south india lo untayi anukunna

Sreelu said...

@Raaga , I am sorry did not understand what you meant

@Shyam dear, sundried fresh tamrind leaves and wallah !!! you have dried tamarind leaves

@Padma, Thanks !! Wish you were close by.

@Asha, boy that was a long time.

Sharmi said...

I have never tasted chinta chiguru. you have done a clever thing by bringing dried leaves. nice recipe.

Rajitha said...

sreelu...tamarind leaves in dal...i'm sure it will be yummy!! i have only tasted the leaves..

Vcuisine said...

Lovely recipe Sreelu. It is nutritious too. Viji

Happy cook said...

I never knew we could make something with tamarind leaves.
The dal must have been tasting really good with the leaves.

Vijaya said...

Hi Sreelu,
First time visiting your blog. I like chinta chiguru pappu. After a long time I am looking at this.

sra said...

Sreelu, chinta chetluntayi, nenu undanu :) I mean, other than picking them off the highway, I wouldn't know whose house to raid for them. I once tried on the highway but the season was just over!

swapna susarla said...

wow chinta chiguru pappu...can i take some????

Laavanya said...

This is very new to me but I can imagine how delicious this must be. I'll see if I can get this the next time I visit home. Thanks Sreelu.

Bharathy said...

saw tamarind leaves dish in srivallis place too..Being a basic Andhraite I never knew a dish with these leaves.!!.
I bet this combo is sinfully delicious!!

Suma Gandlur said...

I also have a similar recipe on my blog. Recently when my husband went to India, my MIL sent some dried chinta chiguru..

Hima said...

I love this pappu. Do get this in California? If yes, I envy you, here in san antonio we do not get any good Indian vegetables at all. I envy you.

only krishu said...

Chintha Chiguru pappu ok, Meeku chintha chiguru iguru telusa, balega vuntadi lendi

only krishu said...

enti Madam comment accept chesaaru kani answer cheppaledu... telusa leda chintha chiguru iguru gurinchi

Sreelu said...

OK, sorry reply evvaledu, naku iguru cheyyadamu teliyadu. Vintune noru uruthundi , recipe unte evandi try chestanu

 
Web Statistics