Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Gumadikaya Pulusu (Pumpkin Stew)

Gumadikaya Pulusu (Pumpkin Stew) A trip to farmers market is never complete without buying fresh flowers and weird looking pumpkins. I love Pumpkins especially during the fall. I usually make pulusu kind of a stew eaten with rice. This stew/pulusu is on the sweeter side and is usually eaten with mudda pappu/kandi pappu. Accompanied with papad and ghee you get a feeling that you are few steps away from heaven.
Pumpkins grown specially grown in US get tender very quick. So this is fairly a quick stew/pulusu

Ingredients
½ pumpkin cut into small cubes, with the skin on
1 small onion sliced thinly
1 small tomato cubed
3-4 drum sticks
1 Green chili (adjust accordingly)
Tamarind size of a quarter
Salt
Haldi
3-4 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp Rice flour
For Thadka
1 tbsp Urad dal
1 tbsp Jeera
1 tbsp Mustard seeds
½ tbsp hing
8-10 curry leaves
2-3 red chilies

Process
1. In a pan add 2 cups water, add tamarind ,Pumpkin, onions, tomato, G.chili, salt and haldi
2. Allow it to boil until Pumpkins are fork tender
3. Now add sugar and check for salt once again, adjust accordingly
4. In a separate bowl add few drops of water to rice flour and make into a thin consistency
5. Add the above rice flour mixture to boiling pot with veggies mix well, adding rice flour with start to thicken pulusu
6. Now is a separate pan add oil and all the ingredients for tadhka, when mustard seeds start to splutter add the above to pulusu
7. Mix pulusu well and allow it to boil for another 3-4 minutes
Garnish with coriander and serve hot


Serve with hot rice,ghee and papad

33 comments:

Madhu said...

Pumkin curry looks good I have some at home never made with tamarind before, will try your recipe....

Cynthia said...

You know, I've never been a big fan of pumpkin. Don't know if I really am either. I started eating more of it when I moved to Barbados because there weren't the wide variety of veggies as is available in Guyana.

Your soup looks like perfection.

Sirisha Kilambi said...

I like Gummadikaya pulusu ....
Nce pic Sreelu.....looks tempting dear :-)

Nags said...

pulusu looks very colorful..

thanks for commenting on my blog - do participate in the cook book event. you can hide your face behind the book, if thats what you prefer :) make is creative :D

Jyothsna said...

I'm looking at new ways to use pumkin,your recipe is interesting.

Bharathy said...

I love that pulusu..
Got cut pumpkins in my crisper!..and I am ready to make this tommorrow!:)

Raaga said...

send a bowl over please

sra said...

That's a v simple, straightforward pulusu recipe, Sreelu.

Happy cook said...

Never made a curry with pumpkin always dis soup.
My mom used to make Halwa with it, i have never attempted to do the halwa asi remember how she was so busy when she made it.

Padma said...

I too agree with Cynthia, I am not a big fan of pumpkin, But my DH likes it very much, but that gumadikaya is looking so dear in that pulusu! Chala noruristundi

Asha said...

Pumpkin is sweet and tastes great in spicy dishes.Looks yum.Good job Sreelu.

timepass said...

Different and nice recipe using pumpkin

swapna susarla said...

Hi sreelu
my mother used to make this pulusu.looks lovely!!

Kumudha said...

This looks so good. And the recipe also looks simple. Since pumpkins has a long shelf-life, it is a good idea to buy a couple of pumpkins!

I always made a poriyal with pumpkin.

Thanks for the yummy recipe!

TBC said...

I have never tried adding pumpkin in a stew.
But why do u leave the skin on? isn't it really thick & tough?

Pooja V said...

Very interesting recipe. Will buy pumpkins and try it.

Laavanya said...

I've not ventured to cook with anything but the white pumpkin (winter melon). Your dish looks so good.

Rajitha said...

sreelu.. looks delicious adn easy.. bookmarking this for fall

Rina said...

Hi Sri,

Never included pumpkin in my cuisine, although I wanted to many times. You've inspired me now to blog my version of it. Thanks for your version. Looks great.

Esther

Sukanya Ramkumar said...

Hi Sreelu....
This stew is rocking.....Excellent picture.....YUM!

Prema Sundar said...

This is a new recipe for me Sreelu.. looks good .

Sreelu said...

@ Madhu, Try it its delicious

@Cynthia, What veggies are most popular in Barbados

@Sirisha ,Thanks Dear

@Nags I already have in mind how to take a pic,will post it soon

@Bharathy, Give it a shot I hope u like it

Sreelu said...

@Jyothsna, Glad u liked it

@Raaga, On your way dear !!

@Sra, thanks !!

@HC, halwa would love to see the recipe

@Padma ,try cheyandi nachutadi

Sreelu said...

Timepass, welcome to my blog and thanks !!

@Swapna, thanks !!!

@TBC, It gets very tender, you can scrape the flesh out of the skin

@Pooja, welcome to my blog & Thanks

@Lavanya, I haven't used white pumpkin at all,post some recipes I would love to try it

@Rajitha, Thanks !!

Sreelu said...

@Esther dear, such a sweet surprise to hear from you. Loved your blog and posted my comments as well
you my dear are blogrolled

Sreelu said...

@Sukanya & Prema Thanks girls !!

Rina said...

Hey Sri,.........Thanks for those good words but on which of my blog did you leave comments? I couldn't locate.

Your posts are very lovely. Also you look cool in the B'd pics. I like your hair style with highlights. Sure, you would have really enjoyed the trip to India

Suma Gandlur said...

I can imagine how good this pulusu tastes with mudda pappu.
Love the look of your blog.

Shankari said...

never cooked with this pumpkin,I should try it

Vcuisine said...

Lovely cup Sreelu. Viji

Bharathy said...

Sreelu dear...C'mon get ready for the meme..(Since your name starts with Sri)...Fished out!!A big and cute fish!!:)

Nags said...

waiting for your next post :) thanks for dropping u by.. jus realised i hadnt blogrolled you, so doing it rightaway! :)

sunita said...

Love pumpkin and your stew looks great :)

 
Web Statistics