Monday, September 10, 2007

Kesar Falooda

Kesar Falooda

Must admit there are very few times that I tried Falooda but last week had a block party and had a chance to drink this, boy loved it. Went around seeing if I could find the ingredients required, to my surprise local Indian store not only carried all the ingredients required but also carried ready made mixes. The cool thing about Falooda is it can double as a drink or a dessert. Perfect for a warm summer night, this drink is very versatile in terms of flavor, some of the most popular flavors being Rose, Kesar, and Mango etc...
I believe this is widely popular in North India and is sold as a street fare. I remember eating/drinking this as a kid a while ago on our trip to Delhi in Nirula’s.
More info on Falooda can be found in wiki here
For today I decided to make Kesar Falooda

Ingredients
To make 1 cup of Falooda
1 cup chilled whole milk or half & half
1 small cup of vermicelli (this is sold separately and usually made of arrow root rather then wheat)
1 small cup of sabjal/takamaria seeds
2 small scoops of kesar ice-cream
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp tutti frutti (optional)

Process
1.boil vermicelli in hot water for 10 min and then immediately place it cold water for 10 min and stir well allowing to cool
2.In a glass layer a spoon full of vermicelli, pour cold milk, sugar, rose water (optional), sabjal seed, tutti frooti , mix well
3.float 2 small scoops of kesar icecream on the top of the glass and serve

This will be one refreshing drink, This also is my entry to Monthly Mingle ,Liquid Dreams hosted Meeta


PS: for folks in Bay area Real Ice-cream Kesar Pista works excellent, folks who would be visiting bay Ice-cream from Real ice-cream should be a must try, store carries exotic flavors like chikoo,gulkand, green tea, kesar,mango etc and all their ice-cream are eggless

24 comments:

Rajitha said...

sreelu..u are making my mouth water.. how refreshing does this look huh..yummy..btw where do u live in the bay-area.. i am planning to move there..block party and all..nice!!

Asha said...

Sreelu, Falooda looks yum, almost like full meal! Don't know what Sabjal is but guessing it's dark thingy. Sometimes they add Basil seeds too (Tulasi plant seeds).Great entry:)

Sreelu said...

@Rajitha,
I live in San Jose, let me know if you need any info.Yeah block parties are great !!

Padma said...

The word falooda itself is rewinding all my college memories in Mumbai....we had loads n loads of them...we use to do ek minute show for eating faloodas....

hmmm urs looking #_$ ...slurp...slurp

TBC said...

Falooda looks good & that's a nice entry.

TBC said...

Falooda looks good & that's a nice entry.

bee said...

i vuuuuuuvvv falooda. it has to be rgarish pink with rooh afza to be bombay-style falooda. :D

i esp love trying to trap all those slippery things in the straw. your post brought back good memories.

Laavanya said...

I can't remember ever tasting falooda but this looks so good Sreelu. Kesar pista ice-cream is mouthwatering as it is...

Roopa said...

Sreelu the cup of falooda looks yum! will try it soon, btw where didi you get kesar icecream from?

Cynthia said...

What is falooda?

Sreelu said...

@Asha, Wow I did not know that tulsi seeds can be added, infact this is the first time I ever prepared too :)

@Rajitha,
Girl let me know if you need info on Bay area

@Padma,
Ek minute show wow now thats an idea,good old college days

@TBC, Thanks !!

@Bee, Had to make it yellow,my boys don't eat /touch anything pink :(
I love those slippery things too

@Roopa,
Real Icecream in Santa clara, excellent shop for icecreams

@Cynitha,
Falooda is a milk based shake most popular in northern India

sra said...

have had falooda only rarely, sreelu, the kind bee mentioned!

Raaga said...

For some reason I have never liked falooda but yours looks lovely.

sunita said...

The falooda looks really nice..great entry :)

Nupur said...

Faloods really brings back memories of eating it in a place called "Badshah" in Bombay. Your version looks so tempting! Did you find the special vermicelli and sabja in the Indian store?

Happy cook said...

I have to be honest i've never had falooda, even though in india it is so famous.
Ofcourse don't forget the falooda from sathyajit Rays book

Bharathy said...

Thatz a pretty looking falooda,Sreelu..Nice entry!!:)

I entered your name for the meme, Sreelu,hope you noticed!!:)

Sirisha Kilambi said...

Nice one Sreelu...Ur Falooda looks yummmmm :-)

ushaprashanth said...

Hi !
Kesar falooda looks very different! lovely photo! sabjal seeds is falooda seeds isn't it?

Rina said...

Hey Sri, this is a treat indeed !!!!! Hope I can find all the ingredients to make this. If not I have to download from your blog. How about adding some fruit to this. I've always had Falooda with fruits, say grapes, bananna, strawberry. Thanks.

Mansi Desai said...

I love falooda!!! rose was my fav flavour until i saw yours:) there was a small place in Baroda (my hometown) called larilappa, and we used to drive 14 kilometers just to enjoy the falooda there!!!


aah, good old days!

Meeta said...

I remember having faloodas when I was on vacation in Delhi - the street vendor always put like a red syrup over the top - which actually was my favorite part. We were never allowed to eat such stuff from the vendors because my mum was always scared we'd get a terrible tummy bug but my nani would always give us some money so we could sneak out and buy ourselves one of these. Lovely memories!

Amna said...

thanx a lot for the recipe,but I wanted to ask you,isnt it necessary to soak the falooda seeds in water or milk before preparing the mix??Otherwise they might appear hard in the drink?

Pritya said...

What a lovely recipe...love the pic...yummy! Sridevi, enjoyed coming to your site, and also interacating with you today. Have a great weekend.

 
Web Statistics