Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Mavalli Tiffin Room -MTR

Mavalli Tiffin Room -MTR

The buck for Karnataka cuisine has to stop here say's Asha. Well with 200+ entries for the event ,heck it has to stop. When RCI-Karnataka event was announced I was looking forward to my contribution, just did not realize it would take so long, Thanks Asha for accommodating my entry.

My history with K-Cuisine goes long way back, was fortunate enough to have spent some of the best years of my life in Bangalore, must say those years were the most sweetest and carefree life I have ever lived. Bangalore is such a cosmopolitan city, beautiful weather, warm people myriad choices of food all in all it was a great city to live. Usually during summer after a hot afternoon there would be slight drizzle in the evening and in our house after the drizzle your truly along with parents and brothers would go to Banshankari 2nd stage complex and enjoy chaat or dosa from the near by dosa camps.
Never before have I seen such quality food in huge numbers else where, every nook and corner in Bangalore has small restaurants like darshans, vihaar and dosa camps.

My entry to RCI- Karnataka would be MTR, that’s right Mavalli Tiffin Room, one of the largest food conglomerate in India, has its origins and history very tightly associated with Bangalore and Karnataka. The standards set by this 78-year-old institution are not easy to emulate
MTR”S Heritage (courtesy MTRfood.com)

At MTR, we are proud of our rich heritage. Our tradition of food and hospitality began in 1924 with the establishment of the Mavalli Tiffin Room by the Maiyya family in Bangalore, India. This restaurant is a city landmark today and people still stand in queue to savour its unique, completely authentic dishes. Over the years, we have played proud host to many distinguished personalities who dropped by for the excellent coffee and the stimulating conversation.

MTR is/was a favorite to many famous politicians/leaders and other celebrities. I myself have enjoyed a love/hate relation with MTR, love for the finger licking good food and hate for the big queues and wait times at any given point of time.
Did you know that Rava idle was invented my MTR, cool hah !!
A typical Udupi Brahmin cuisine lunch menu at MTR, worth Rs.75, would include fruit juice, payasam, kosambari, vegetable gravy, masala dosa, vangibath, rice, rasam, gojju, sweet pongal, jilebi, ambodé, curds, and fruit salad.
MTR is famous for its mouth watering masala dosa's served with a side of ghee
Idli that melts right in your mouth
Not to mention the sambar and chutney which truly are out of the world












And if there is one thing you would keep asking for more is the aromatic coffee served in silver glasses


As a young bride cannot even mention the number of times MTR instant foods have come in handy,now even as an experienced cook I rely on MTR for a quick break fast or a snack.

Used the following instant mixes today to prepare my entry for RCI hosted by Asha
Quick and easy yet very delicious. Recipe for samabar can be found here

Now for all you readers make sure you pay a visit to MTR next time you are in Bengalooru.


Interesting read on MTR here and here

All the pictures in my blog today are courtesy Flickr creative commons except the last one

39 comments:

Suganya said...

I never knew what MTR stood for. And the photos are amazing. MTR wud be happy to see those:)

Raaga said...

Your post made me remember my meals there :-) I treated my entire family to lunch at MTRs when I got a new job:-)

sra said...

That's a really different entry, Sreelu! South Indian thalis that I know don't serve payasam, tho' that's as South Indian as it gets, but come with puris!

Padmaja said...

Sreelu!!
U made so hungry now!!!!!!!!!!!!
great pictures!!

Arundati Rao said...

mtr rava idli is my favourite...i discovered it quite by accident a few years ago and have managed to convert all those who have had it at my place....MTR rocks!!

Rajitha said...

sreelu...looks soo good. i am so hungry looking at all the food

Roopa said...

wow Sreelu, thats a fabulous post on MTR. thanks for leading me to my memory lane. the oota at mtr i am drolling at all the photos :)

Cinnamon said...

You are making me hungry and drool and the pics!!!!!
Not fair!!!

Padma said...

U have made my day, Sreelu what a post, I never had been to MTR, bglr but will sure try in my next visit to India...now I am feeling v.hungry!
Such a nice post and all those tiffins looks mouthwatering Sree...

lakshmi said...

I can still taste the awesome khara bhaath served with ghee that I tasted ages ago - great entry - MTR on Lalbagh road also serves awesome rave idlis - people who miss this place when they're in Bangalore have missed somehting in life :D

Awesome entry.

Asha said...

Sreelu, this is so wonderful! We used to line up at MTR for hrs to eat there and those Rave ildies with Ghee on top was to kill for!:))
Thank you so much,really got me drooling here with all the pics.I will happy to add it. Hugs.

Sirisha Kilambi said...

wow Sreelu...Great presentation dear.......Loved every bit of ur post.......Now I am drooling over those vadas and Idlis.....;-)

Rohini's kitchen said...

Great entry. Pics are wonderfull!

Siri said...

Wow, Sreelu, till date I didn't know whats the full form of MTR, though I used its products every single day. Great post dear and I got know so many facts..thanks..:D

Happy cook said...

Hey this is not fair, you are eating all those dishes and i don't have none. It reminds me when we go to places in South.
See because of you i am getting homesick. And mt sis is iB'lore visiting mt other sister and few days back when i rang they just finished their lunch in Amravathi and one sis asked do you want to small my hand throught the phone. :-)))

Laavanya said...

What an amazingly tempting post Sreelu...

Mishmash ! said...

That was a beautiful post...enjoyed it and liked your chutney cups a lot :)

Shn

Timepass said...

Lovely pics, all i need is a thali from MTR now to satisfy this craving...

TheCooker said...

The last time I ate there was almost 25 years ago, and I still remember that outing! Thanks for bringing back the memories.

Manasi said...

MTR!! man , that place is something else! I was introduced to it by my cuz who lives in B'lore.. The rave idli was AWESOME!! I had never tasted anything like it!
Thanx!!

Rina said...

Excellent coverage Sri, Pictures are mouth watering. I too use these MTR mixes sometimes to make life easy. Also I use to export these in tons when I was in Chennai to Australia and Singapore.

Madhu said...

Oh wow shreelu......those pics speak to itself,chutneys and sambar make me drool...
Very nice entry. Thanks for the pics feels like home.

Sharmi said...

that is an awesome, awesome, awesome post. waw I want to be in India right now. lovely pics.

Roopa(KitchenAromas) said...

MTR is my all time favorite restaurant. I am getting super excited at the prospect of eating there maybe in the next couple of months. Fabulous entry

bee said...

wonderful post sreelu. MTR puliyogare rules, and so do all their other products. they just smell wonderful and authentic, like your grandma made them. and why do you torture us with hose masala dosa pics, gal?

Srivalli said...

very nice entry...thanks for sharing such wonderful pictures...

Archana, mama of twins said...

Hi Sreelu
First time here! MTR drew me in.. We go there everytime in Bangalore as somehow I am related to the owners and we sit in the area next to the main hall and don't get to wait in line. I know! I know.. I am sure you and Asha will hate me for the special treatment but you will also be glad to know I don't spend hours there, we pig out really fast and head out shopping! :)

Kumudha said...

Thanks for the wonderful pictures of delicious fare. MTR food rocks!

They have an amazing range of products.

Shankari said...

Very nice write up on MTR and a wonderful tribute, great jon sreelu!

Sia said...

what a beautiful post sree... first thing i buy when i visit india is all MTR masalas(2 packets each)... the pics are awesome and u have done a wonderful job. how i crave for those special masala dosas and thali with frothy cup of coffee... bliss....

Anonymous said...

I'm from Bangalore too - aah! the chutney and the sambar. You tormentor!

Puspha said...

Lovely post.

Lissie said...

what a great entry, sreelu! now a days, there wouldn't be any south indian home without MTR masalas!
i am a blogger from Bangalore.

meera said...

You took me down the memory lane.. some of my best carefree years were spent in blr as a hostel-ite.. I remember walking down Gandhi Bazaar with friends after those evening showers, eating the roadside boondas chat and dosas... we were more into the slv coffees, brahmin's coffee, kadambam food and fresh fruit juices..
I wonder why no one has come up with a drive through idli vada sambar place here in US ?

Those pictures are very good. What kind of camera did you use?
Thanks! :)

Anonymous said...

Great pictures!!!!

aspiring annapoorna said...

Mmmmmm...MTR...yes the name, and those pictures, conjure up memories of waking up at 6am to stand in line for the dosas with all of my extended family during summer vacations in Bangalore :)
Yes, good food, great coffee, and very 'vintage' decor...the chairs tables and the layout is still very 1950s Bangalore...(unless thats changed in the 5 or so years since I've been there)
Is there any way that you the recipe for their honey halwa or french fruit mix...
For anyone who visits Bangalore and goes to MTR, I recommend getting your fill, and the taking a loooooong walk across Lal Baug (entering from the MTR side gate and exiting from the Basavanagudi gate) to digest it all :)

Thanks for a great post sreelu!

Sreelu said...

Everyone I cannot believe the kind of response I received for this post, it’s almost overwhelming. Hope MTR serves generations to come same way with their impeccable quality and taste

Kalva said...

Ho Sreelu,
Yes i went to this restaurant,. Thats true Idly and Dosa are delicious there. And the best part was Sambhar, not too spicy not too sweet just right! Thanks for reminding me those days!!! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving wonderful comments!

Lakshmi said...

Lovely post on MTR. My whole family is a big fan of MTR. Loved ur write up.

 
Web Statistics