Monday, February 11, 2008

Aloo Paratha

Aloo Paratha

Aloo Parantha
Cannot belive that I have not posted my staple and regular paratha yet on my blog. Growing up in a typical South Indian home Aloo Paratha was a very special and occasional food that was prepared at home. I remember vivdly the effort it took to feed Aloo parata to about 20 people during summer vacations. Growing up now I cannot but feel guilty every time I eat Aloo Paratha for all its calories and carb content, but of late realized that eating potato once in a while is good and might be healthy with moderate in-take. Read about all the goodness of Aloo at Sia's Monsoon Spice, where she sings an Ode to old tuber.
Aloo filling can be made according to ones taste and this is very versatile. I learnt this from a Punjabi aunty who helps me with cooking.
Ingredients makes about 6-8 parathas
5 small Potatoes peeled and boiled
1 tbsp kasoori methi
1/2 tbsp haldi
1 tbsp garam masala powder
1 tbsp corriander powder
1/2 tbsp red chilli powder
a pinch of amchoor (dry mango powder)
handfull of finely chopped fresh corriander leaves
and salt according to taste




For Roti
1 cup atta (flour)
salt according to taste
water for kneading
oil for shallow frying (optional)
Process For filling
1. Mix in boiled aloo and all the dry ingredients and mix well.
For Paratha
1.Mix all ingredients except water. Add a little at a time and form a soft dough. try to make this at least 30 minutes before using.
2.Always keep covered with a moist cloth, and see that the cloth is kept moist
For stuffing paratha
1.Roll a thick roti and place a small portion of the filling in the center
2.bring all the edges of the roti together and make sure that the entire filling is covered
3.and then roll into a nice round shape dusting with flour as required
4. heat a griddle/tava and place Paratha
5.let it cook on one side and then repeat on the other side
6.Add a tspn of oil to paratha and let it fry till it gets golden brown.
Serve hot with raita.
This will be my entry to sweetest Sia for her Ode to Potatoes event. Click on the logo for more info.
Update : Thanks to my dear friend Rina, I realized that I can send this entry to two other events in the blogosphere, click on the logos for more info
Firstly Click hosted by Bee & Jai , this month's theme is Flour.
And to Dhivi of CulinaryBazaar for The Potato Feast event

20 comments:

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

yumm!!! Love the stack of parathas.

Srivalli said...

Looks yummy!..

Happy cook said...

I have never made stuffed parathas. Just ate them from places. Looks so good.

sunita said...

Sreelu, your parathas look perfect :-)

bee said...

that's gorgeous, dear sreelu.

TheCooker said...

picture perfect parathas!being paratha/roti challenged, i admire anyone who makes them.

vimmi said...

Love aloo paranthas. looks great. Aloo once in a while is ok.

Rina said...

Hey, Sri... not only Potatoes but you hit the 'Flour' which is the ingredient for Click this month. Love the stack of Parathas...Wish I can download them to have with mix veg pickle and a cup of chai,
cause I have never make parathas at home, you really inspire me to try them out.I know you have a collection of them here. Let me start with one by one. Bye ra.

Sia said...

what a lovely stack of aloo parathas. gimme few hot paratas with curd and pickle and i am a very happy person:) thank you sree for sending me my fav food:) will look forward to ur mail:)

TBC said...

That looks great, Sreelu!

Uma said...

Aloo Paratha looks so yummy! Pic is lovely! Happy Valentine's day!

sra said...

I love the second photo, it looks nicer than the finished product, which's a beauty in itself.

Sukanya Ramkumar said...

Nice to see a stack of aloo paratha... Mouthwatering...Love it...

DK said...

Aloo parathas have always been, is, and will be my fav. These yummy breads with some butter on top jus sweep me away and are one of my comfort foods. Your pics rock...the parathas luk perfect. Thanks for sending them my way :)

Dhivya said...

wow aloo paratah...i am searching for this recipe..thanks for sharing,,will surely try.Happy V day to u

Mishmash ! said...

Looking at that beautifully stuffed and rolled beauties, I am sort of drooling!my fav type of paratha!!

DEEPA said...

Wow!!!awesome ....perfect aloo paratha ...yummy yummy one!!!

Cynthia said...

It's this potato even that has everyone coming out with their aloo parathas. I don't care, I love aloo, so bring it on I say.

manju said...

Found your site via DK's Tater Fest, and I love the seasonings you use for your filling. Even if I'm too lazy to make the parathas (yours look perfect), I'm going to try these potatoes. Great site!

Ramki said...

Hi
Am blogging your paratha as a model recipe in the 1001 Paratha cookbook at http://ramkicooks.blogspot.com/

/Thanks for the recipe

 
Web Statistics