Sunday, March 2, 2008

Lemon Daal (Nimmakayi Kattu)

Lemon Dal (NimmaKaya Kattu)
There are some foods which give you instant gratification when eaten, food that satisfies our soul and makes you full and remind you of home Nimmakaya Kattu is one of them for me. This is prepared usually during the night because its very light and helps with digestion. Eaten usually with hot rice and ghee makes you one step closer to heaven. This can be eaten with roti's too make a light tasty daal.Best part of this Dal/(Kattu as called in Telugu ) is takes less then the time to cook rice.Perfect for weekdays dinners.
Today's Lemon Daal is made freshly from Lemons from my backyard,noting like the scent of fresh lemon, the essential oil from the lemon leaves has such a clean and fresh feeling to it. Citrus to me always comes synonymous to clean. Today's recipe is my contribution to JFI -Lemon, hosted by dear Coffee of The Spice Cafe.
Ingredients (makes to feed about 6 )
1/2 cup of Moong Dal
juice of 3 lemon
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
Haldi/Turmeric
Salt according to taste
For Seasoning/Tadhka
1/2 tbsp Mustard seeds
1/2 tbsp Jeera
1/2 tbsp Urad Dal
a pinch of hing
8-10 kadi Patta (Curry leaves)
1 tbsp ghee (optionally oil)
Process
1. Pressure cook moong dal until soft, once cold mash into a fine paste add salt and make into a dal like consistency
2. squeeze juice of 3 Lemons, add salt and Haldi and leave aside.
3.Heat a pan add mashed Moong allow it boil for 3 minutes, to the boiled moong add the above lemon juice and allow to boil for 2-3 minutes.
4. Heat a tbsp of ghee, add all the ingredients for tadhka and when mustard seeds start to splutter add to boiled moong dal. Mix well and allow to cook for another 2-3 minutes.
Serve hot with rice or roti's.



17 comments:

Cynthia said...

This is bookmarked as a must-do. The lighting on your pics are mesmerizing.

Mythreyee said...

I used to do the same recipe with toor dal. Gotta try with moong dal. A healthy side for rotis. Simple yet delicious.

Cham said...

The lemon daal color is so perfect ! Looks very delicious :)

Namratha said...

First, your pics are grogeousssss!! :) and love the nimmakaya kattu, can't wait to try it now ;)

satya said...

Hi Sreelu garu,
'Kattu' ane padam vini ennallayyindo!Thank you very much.:-)
One small doubt though,doesn't kattu become bitter if boiled after adding lemon juice?

Sagari said...

beautiful pics sreelu and colors looks sooo bright

Sreelu said...

Satya, Thanks andi, nimmakaya anduke pappu baga marigaka veyali. koncham boil ayyaka lemon vesi okkati /rendu nimashalu tarvata talipmu vesi tesiveste chedu avvadu.Try cheyandi !!

Girls, thanks for your comments, can't wait for spring to spring on.

Sia said...

gorgeous pics sree:) my comfort food too:)

Rina said...

Quick and easy recipe dear... Never tried lemon dhall. I have tthe same doubt like Satya, whenever I add lime into boiling dishes. Should be careful about that though.

Thanx for this new addition to my menu list. Lovely presentation. Beautiful color.

TheCooker said...

Beautiful pictures, Sreelu!

Mansi Desai said...

This looks scintillating Sreelu! I loved the recipe:) and yes, I missed the meet too:( but there's always a next time!:)

hey, I'm hosting WBB this month, so it'd be great if you can send in something for the event!

Laavanya said...

That first picture is beautiful... I like lemon rasam so I think lemon dhal won't be an exception.. must try.

Uma said...

Mmm. I can smell the lemons. Lovely kattu.

Rama said...

Yummy.......

Sukanya Ramkumar said...

Hi Sreelu....Waiting to try this recipe......Love it....

Arch at Rang said...

Looks absolutely yum:-)

Thanks for dropping by at my blog and for the nice comment:-)

You have a delightful blog as well:-)

Drop by often..I will too:-)

Arch

Jeena said...

Hi there my name is Jeena and I have started a food recipe forum that I thought you would like to join here Click here for food recipe forum

I would love to see you on there to chat about food and cooking you can talk about anything you like and start your very own topics. :-)
or see my main food recipe website Jeenas food recipe site

Hope to see you soon

Thanks

Jeena x

 
Web Statistics