Monday, May 26, 2008

Blueberry Lassi/Smoothie

Blueberry Lassi/Smoothie
Happy Memorial day to my readers in US, its amazing what an extra day staying at home does. Memorial day kicks of Grilling season here, but this year it has been unusually cold and chili in the bay area for a Memorial day. Can't wait for Summer to begin officially.
This Summer I have decided that I would try to experiment with new vegetables and fruits that I have never tried before, thanks to my local farmers there are abundant new varieties that I have never laid my hands on.

Inspired by Indira's Raspberry Lassi ,this weekend made a slight variation and used Blue berries instead. Blue berries are an excellent source of anti oxidants and dietary Iron. I Love blue berries and I tried growing them in my yard but still haven't had any luck.

Ingredients
1 Cup Blue Berries ( frozen can be used if fresh not available)
1 cup low fat yogurt
1/2 tbsp honey/ sugar ( adjust according to sweetness of Blue berries)
1/2 cup crushed ice
Mint for garnish
Process
1. Mix all the ingredients above in a blender or smoothie maker and grind till required smoothie consistency.
2. Garnish with mint leaf and serve cold.
So what are your favorite picks in farmers market ?
Click here for my other Lassi flavors

14 comments:

Happy cook said...

Delicious and beautiful colour

Rina said...

Nice color combo there Sri...But I would prefer this w/ any other berry...cause I'm averted to blue berry smell. i know they are so essential in health point of view... May be i can eat them plain...but usually i don't eat anything that contains them...like yogurt, muffins, pies, danish...I do feel guilty about it that i'm missing out on imp...nutrients from them..

But will love this smoothie with my fav...straw or rass berries...

Like u'r facebook new pic..

Hugs ...Esther

Sailaja said...

Wow Blueberry Lassi. I never even imagined lassi with Blueberry. Definately I will try this.
Very beautiful picture. Thanks for sharing.

Laavanya said...

Such a pretty lassi !

Sukanya Ramkumar said...

WOW....That was a luscious drink. looks so good. Loved the color for the drink.

Asha said...

So delicious and gorgeous color!:))

Sia said...

nice one sreelu. we too had a day off on monday. usual summer bank holiday but there is no sign of summer here:(
well, my pick from farmer's market is cherries, berries(almost all), and golden pineapples. they r the best here.

sra said...

Sreelu, ela unnaru? on my monitor, your smoothie appears pink. And such a coincidence - I had something that called itself a 'blueberry' Danish for breakfast.

Shankari said...

Healthy lassi and the colors make you want to make them :)

TBC said...

Oh that's such a pretty looking smmothie! I thought it was a raspberry lassi 'coz of the color! :D

coco said...

The smoothie looks so tempting! I wish we got blueberries around here.. :(

Maija Haavisto said...

Blueberries are actually not a good source of iron. You would need to eat about 3 kg of them in a day to get your RDA of iron.

They are, however, very rich in beneficial phytochemicals, but eating them with dairy yoghurt (which contains casein, one of the worst antinutrients) means you won't really absorb any of them. :-/

Paul Carey said...

Blueberries are now in season in Georgia and I thought about making a lassi, so I googled "blueberry lassi" and found your blog. I made a small single serving by dumping a handful of ice into the blender, three heaping spoons full of unsweetened yogurt, a handful of blueberries, and about three tablespoons of honey on top. It looked just like your picture and tasted wonderful. Thanks for sharing this idea.

Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama said...

I featured this smoothie on my blog! http://www.thecleaneatingmama.com/2010/08/smoothie-attack.html

 
Web Statistics