Sunday, November 2, 2008

Dal Makhani -My Legume Love Affair - Fourth Helping

Dal Makhani -My Legume Love Affair - Fourth Helping

When Sra announced that she was hosting My Legume Love Affair - Fourth Helping event, I knew I could participate without have to put an extra effort of a new ingredient or a process or a cuisine, little did I know that it would take more effort in posting then cooking, So missed the chance to send it to event never the less since I had this post in draft posting it.
Dal Makhani is Punjabi delicacy rich in protein and fiber.Major source of protein for vegetarian comes from legumes, I am huge fan of legumes/lentils and use it quite a bit in my cooking and thanks to the variety of recipes I never seem to get tired of legumes.
Learnt today's recipe from my Punjabi nanny, who was an amazing cook. Pretty simple yet very delicious and healthy recipe requires no soaking or prep time, gets cooked in less than 15 minutes.

Ingredients
1 Cup Lentils
1 big tomato
1 big onion chopped into slices
4 tbsp Ginger peeled and chopped
2 garlic cloves
Corriander for garnish
2 tbsp Garam masala
2 big tbsp Kasoori Methi leaves
1 tbs haldi
salt according to taste
1 tb chili powder (adjust according to taste)
Juice of 1/2 lemon (optional)
Butter or cream (optional)
Process
1.Add lentils, tomato,ginger,garlic,salt and haldi directly into a pressure cooked, add water till covered and pressure cook atleast till you get 8 whistles ( a little longer then usual).
2. In a separate pan add 2 tbsp oil, add kasoori methi, ginger garlic paste,haldi , garam masala saute for few minutes.
3. Add sliced onion and saute till onions turn translucent.
4. Add cooked lentils to the above and mix well , add salt and chili powder according to taste and allow to cook for few more minutes.
5. Add lemon juice and corriander and remove from heat, additionally you can add cream or butter to enhance the flavor.
Serve hot with roti or plain rice or basmathi rice. This dish makes a complete meal by itself and warms your body during this cold season.

14 comments:

Happy cook said...

It looks so yumm.

With rotis it must have been delicious

Rina said...

Never tasted or tried Dal Makhani. Let me draw the inspiration now. The other preparation of Makhani I like is with Paneer.
Hope u enjoyed Deepavali.

Subhashini said...

Thanks for the receipe Sridevi. I will try it out

Madhu said...

Beautiful pic Sree, dal makhni is one of my fav. Very wholesome and comforting food.

Kalai said...

Wow! Amazing dish of comfort food! As you said, perfect for the cold weather! :)

Uma said...

dal makhani looks so mouth-watering.

mitr_bayarea said...

Your dal makhani looks so rich and full of gravy, is there any specific type of lentil you use.

TheCooker said...

So you don't pre-soak the masoor?
This is fast and easy.

Cynthia said...

Ummmmm, now that's comfort in a bowl.

Bharathy said...

Me Here after a long time!..seems I have to catch up a lot with you..
Rocking with your awesome pics and recipes as usual..
Dal makhani is my hubbys fav..book marking this and will give a shot, for sure! :)

Sharmi said...

delicious looking dal sreelu:) after long time here and virtually enjoying:) diwali diya looks beautiful

Sunshinemom said...

I have made dal makhani with mixed dals and with chauli but never with sabut masoor (is it saboot masoor?). This has to taste good! Thanks for the recipe.

Sagari said...

veryyy niceeeeeeee

Rev said...

Great! looks soooo delicious

Rev
www.relishdelish.blogspot.com

 
Web Statistics