Growing up as Southern Bella, coconut is something that is used on a daily basis, be it in chutneys,stews or rice items it's a qunitessencial ingriedent for daily cooking, the easy with which coconut meat is scrapped and how quickly it was turned into a mouth watering concostion is quite a wonderful thing.Well on the other side of the world where I currently live getting fresh coconut is a matter of luck.Groceries stores here carry coconuts that are like years old. With many coconuts gone bad learnt to use alernatvies like coconut cream,cocnut milk found in Asian/Chinese stores. Well must say it comes close to tasting like fresh coconut.
Today receipe is cocnut stew eaten with rice, quick and delicious to eat.
1 small coconut cream can or 1 cup of grated coconut
2 tb Sesame seeds
3-4 garlic pods
tamrind size of 2 quaters, add water and sqeeze the pulp to make it about 2 cups
a pinch Turmeric
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp Oil
1 tbsp Jeera
1 tbsp Mustard seeds
1 tbsp Urad Dal
3-4 Red Chilies
10 curry leaves
pinch of Hing
1.Grind sesasme seeds into a fine powder,remove and keep a side
2. Grind coconut and garlic into a fine paste
3. Add sesame seeds powder to the above and grind once again into a fine paste
4. In a pan add a tbsp of oil and heat,when oil is hot add all the ingredinets of seasoning
5. Add tarmind juice,salt, tumeric and allow to boil
6. Once tamrind juice starts to boil, add coconut garlic paste and allow to boil on simmer for about 5-8 minutes
7. Add a table of sugar and adjust salt accordingly.
Remove for heat and serve hot with rice.
Happy Spring Everyone !!!