Red Bell Pepper & Tomato Chutney
Happy Earth day everyone,with all the awareness and alternatives around being green hope we make sound choices and help preserve our natural resources and be environmentally responsible.
Spring break just got over and boy it was beautiful weather in Bay area sunny and bright.Had a cousin of mine visiting from NJ,it was great catching up with her and her family after along time, enjoyed long chats and drives with her, as you can imagine the amount of topics and talking that went on was endless, there were quite a few recipe exchanges that took place and today's recipe is one of them though I kicked it up notch.
1 Large red bell pepper
2 medium size Tomatoes
2-3 cloves of garlic
1 small piece of ginger
1-2 Green chilies
cup of coriander ( adjust according to liking)
1tbsp of Tamarind paste
Salt according to taste
pinch of sugar/small piece of jaggery
Dry Ingredients to be ground into fine powder
1 tbsp Channa dal
1 tbsp urad dal
1 tbsp jeera
1 tbsp dhania
1 tbsp Sesame seeds ( White or Black)
1/2 tbsp methi seeds
1-2 red Chilies depending on spicy level
1. pre heat oven to 425 degrees
2. Once oven is ready place red bell pepper and tomatoes on a baking sheet and broilfor 3- 40 minutes until skin turns to char. Alternatively you can roast it on the fire/grill.
3. Roast all the dry ingredients until they release their aroma.
4. grind the dry ingredients into a fine powder keep aside.
5. Remove charred skin from red Bell pepper and tomatoes.
6. grind grilled red pepper,tomatoes,garlic,ginger, green chilles,coriander,tamarind paste
7. To the ground paste add fried masala powder,salt and haldi and grind once again.
This simple yet delicious chutney compliments roti's ,rice and idli's.