Thursday, October 15, 2009
Saturday, October 10, 2009
Hearty Twelve Bean Vegetarian Chili/Soup
Have been absconding from my blog for a while, off late I am finding it extremely difficult to find time to blog, wish there were 48 hours a day. We in Bay area have been experiencing tipsy turvy weather, you have a Saturday with 80 degrees a park kind of day and a Sunday with 55 degrees super windy and cold, kinda a day to cozy up with your favorite book in your goose down and wish magically a cuppa of warm hearty soup appears.
Well a cup of warm chili with hearty vegetables is always a welcome in cold weather, usually chili is made with red or black beans these days you get such fancy combinations of beans that its very enticing recently picked up a combination of twelve beans . So here goes my version of chili or bean soup however you call it.
1 Cup of dried beans (Black, red or today's case 12 beans combination), soak overnight
1/2 cup celery
1 onion chopped finely
1/2 cup carrot
1/2 cup tomato
2-3 potatoes peeled and cubed
2tb sp Cumin powder
2 tbp Ginger garlic paste
2 tbsp Red chili flakes
Salt according to taste
green chilies sliced very very fine
1. Soak beans overnight.
2. Pressure cook bean with salt
3. Add 2 tbsp oil to a pot, when oil is hot add chili flakes , ginger garlic paste and saute for 1 minute
4. Now add chopped onion and fry till they turn brown
5. Add celery, tomatoes, potatoes and mix well
6. Add boiled beans , save the water in which beans were boiled.
7. Mix all the ingredients and add water if it seems to thick.
8. Use hand blender and run the blender in the pot for few times to make mush some beans.
9. Adjust salt accordingly and allow to boil in simmer for 8-1o minutes.
Serve hot with your choice of toppings, roasted corn, red onion, green chilies sliced very very fine, nacho's crushed roughly, a slice of lemon and of course cheese.Warm and hearty makes a complete and satisfying meal.
Enjoy your fall.