Hot and Spicy Stuffed PeppersIf you are like me growing up food was always the center of activity at home, a herculean task that was performed by the ladies of the house without any hiccups. You see I lived in a joint family big one i.e. with great grand parents, grand parents, uncles, aunts and all my cousins, our house always had visitors and come Summer or vacations we had extended family join us it was non-stop fun. During peak summers sometimes our home housed more than twenty five people yet ladies of the house made it look so seamless and easy to feed the crowd weather it was making pooris or bajji or dosa's everything was done in a order. I wonder how much they used to plan, it was so easy to crib in spite of all their hard work, never realized nor respected for that matter what went into making these delicious meals until of course I had to feed a micro family of four. Most evening snacks made were always deep-fried, never had to watch calories or carbs. Of course, now with so much awareness about calories and healthy eating it makes you rethink before you deep-fry or get the oil going.
Today’s recipe is one such variation slightly healthy then deep frying with weather like today all you want to do is have a few of these catch a book and snuggle.
Feeds 6- 8
Peppers (20) (sweetish kind with fairly thin skin)
3 potatoes (boiled)
1 red onion cubed finely
1/2 cup feta cheese (substitute your favorite)
Shredded mozzarella for topping
1-2 tbsp of cumin powder
Salt according to taste
1/2 tsp red chili flakes
1. Pre heat over to 350
2. Clean chilies and slit vertically in the middle
3. Deseed chilies by removing the pith and seeds
4. Take a pan add tbsp of oil and when hot add chili flakes and red onion.
5. Sauté till onions caramelize
6. Now add boiled potatoes, cumin and salt and mix well. When warm to touch add feta cheese and keep aside to cool
7. Now stuff the above on to the deseeded chilies and top off with shredded mozzarella
8. Line them on baking sheet and allow to bake for 8 minutes
9. Change the setting to broil and high and allow to broil for another 8 minutes.
10. Serve right out of the oven.
Result is hot and spicy stuffed chili and a bite into melted feta boy it feels heavenly and the sweetness of the chili flesh makes it a beautiful concoction. Low cal and low fat but high on taste a true crowd pleaser that your friends and guest alike will love.