Corn Masala/Curried Corn
This is my moms trade mark dish and my favorite too. I love curried corn and I make this quite a few time in summer when corn is abundant and tastes sweet. Unlike Indian corns, corns here taste extremely sweet and are very soft which makes it even tastier.
4-5 corns cut into about 3 inch
about 2 inches long ginger slice
4-5 cloves of garlic
3 tbsp besan/senaga pindi
2 tbsp garam masala/ dhania powder (optional)
salt according to taste
2 tbsp oil
2 tbsp mustard seeds
2 tbsp jeera /cumin
2 tbsp urad dal
4-5 red chilies
10-15 curry leaves
a pinch of hing
1. Boil corn in salt water either in a pressure cooker or microwave.
2. Heat pan add oil when hot, add all the ingredients for seasoning.
3. In a food processor add onion, ginger and garlic and chop roughly, don't make it too fine. It should be roughly chopped.
4. To the heated pan add the above paste and saute till the raw smell of onion is gone , takes about 3-4 minutes add garam masala if you wish.
5. Now add boiled corn and about 1-2 cups of water and allow to boil for about 6-8 minutes.
6. add besan to few table spoons of water and make it into a fine paste, add the above paste to boiling corn.
7. Check salt and adjust accordingly.
8. Allow to boil in simmer for another 8 -10 minutes with lid closed .
Remove from heat and serve.
Trust me try it once and I am sure you will love it.