Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Phir Mile Sur Mera Thumhara

I remember the wave of emotions I felt when I first saw Mile Sur Mera Thumhara on our good old doordarshan ages ago while still in school, it seemed so magical, so powerful it invoked patriotism and a proud feeling. Now few decades later watched the jazzed up version, though its done well must say I don't feel the same kind of emotion. Newer version seems so commercialized,bollywoodish, I mean come on isn't there a better representation of India besides Bacchan clan and Khan clan, what happened to all the pioneers like creators of Infosys, who literally changed the face of India, original version had true spirit but never the less India is changing rapidly and so new version captures that changing India I guess.










More on new Phir mile from my favorite humor blog

What is your choice old is gold or to the new beginings ?

8 comments:

Asha said...

I still love the old version of Sura song, don't know why they always have to do the "new and improved", don't fix it if it's not broken, I say! :D

Siri said...

I can't say - 'I hate the new version'..there were 'some' parts which were ok.. but 'Old is Gold'.. it is proved again!..the kind of emotions songs like 'Mile Sur' & 'Baje Sargam' instigated in late 80's was just amazing..

..I agree with you Sreelu, there is much more than Bacchan clan, skimpy clothes of Deepika Padukone & Shahrukh Khan in India and in the new song, they failed to portray that.

Siri

Nikita said...

I think the new one is unnecessarily lengthy. Feels like an attempt to fit all of bollywood into it. Its way too filmi. Cannot even stand next to the old one!

RV said...

TH & I felt the same.. it is COMMERCIAL-PATRIOTISM....

Cynthia said...

I've just finished looking at the first video, did not look at the second. Just hearing the music made me miss home (Guyana) so very much. It brought up so many complicated emotions also about where I fit in the multiculturalism of my homeland...

Happy Republic Day!

Sreelu said...

Looks like majority still like old is still gold version and I have to agree with it.

Cynthia, as immigrants we all are in the same boat, it sometimes gets very complicated to understand where we fit in.

Anonymous said...

Old is gold, I still like the old one

Anonymous said...

I like the old version too... brings the nostalgia back. These celebrities dont represent India. India is in its middle class, India is in its villages. Where did those days go ? :(

The producers were trying to fill very large shoes and its near impossible. The old version wins hands down. The TV in the 80's was something else.

I hate the part where Aishwarya Rai or whoever it is tries to come up with emotions which dont exist in her plastic face and PDAs everywhere. Cant seem to get her hands off her husband. Poor stifled guy.

 
Web Statistics