Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Turnip Sabji/ Radish Fry With Coconut

Radish Sabji

Turnip sabji is a new dish new that I tried last week, I realized that few years cooking you get so much into your comfort zone that its hard to try new vegetables and if you have kids who are picky eaters this process of cooking new vegetables becomes even rare, I tend to stick with safe choices ie vegetables that I am sure kids would eat, also with the given weather its hard to find any vegetables, most available are root vegetables.

Turnip are pretty flavorless bulbs, I mean they do have a distinct pungent smell but no distinct taste, though they seem very hard to cut , they cook fairly quick.

Cooked turnips pretty south Indian way with coconut and green chilies.

Ingredients

3 medium sized turnips
1/2 cup grated coconut
few sprigs of coriander

For seasoning
1 tbsp jeera/cumin seeds
1 tbsp urad dal
1 tbsp mustard seeds
4-5 green chilies
10- 15 curry leaves
2-3 tbsp of oil.

Process
1. Peel turnip and cut them into cubes of about an inch.
2. In a pan heat 2 tbsp oil, when hot add all the ingredients for seasoning, when mustard starts to splutter add cubes turnips.
3. Add grated coconut and salt and toss till turnips cubes are covered.
4. Cooked covered for about 8 minutes.
5. Check for doneness, sprinkle generous corriander leaves.



Goes well with hot rice and roti's

5 comments:

kitchen queen said...

delicious turnip curry.

Sumi said...

looks like a potato poriyal :)I also make something like this...ya, they cook quite quickly isnt?

Asha said...

I love Turnips too, it has a bit of funky taste but once cooked, it will go away.

Maderan said...

wow good recipe.even I tried turnip for the first time few days back .I tried this recipe http://nishamadhulika.com/sabzi/sabzi_sookhi/aloo-shalgam-recipe.html.
You can also try this.It was good.we liked it.I'll also try u r recipe

Rina said...

Thnx fir thus yum recipe Sri..can't wait to try and post..

 
Web Statistics