Thursday, February 25, 2010

Moong Dal Vada Sabji

Moong Dal Vada Sabji


Had one of the most hectic week in the year so far, seems like I still have a ton on things in my to-do list and very little time, anyways that's life. On a completely different topic I was amazed at how many people had their FB and twitter status mentioning that they found god , a 5.6 footer from Mumbai and plays right hand, one sport that makes India stand. I am not a huge fan of cricket, I always watched it for the glamor and for the stars in the box, but my brothers were such huge fanatics of the sport.

Coming to today's recipe I had few home made moong dal vada's (minapappu vadiyalu)from back home, sometimes I get stuff and wonder why the heck did I get it in the first place and mostly likely it goes into the garbage, luck this time came up with a recipe to make sabji. I was so amazed by the taste and for a change my kids loved it too. I always though the vada's would get soggy but no they have held their shape even after soaking all the tamarind juice and flavor.


Ingredients

1 Cup Moong dal vada ( minappapu vadiyalu)
1 small onion sliced thinly
1 small tomato cubed
1 Green chili (adjust accordingly)
Tamarind size of a quarter
Salt
Haldi
3-4 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp Rice flour
For Thadka
1 tbsp Urad dal
1 tbsp Jeera
1 tbsp Mustard seeds
½ tbsp hing
8-10 curry leaves
2-3 red chilies

Process

1. Heat few table spoons of oil in a pan, when hot add vada's and fry till they turn golden brown approximately 5-6 minutes and keep aside.
1. Now in the same pan heat 2 tbsp of oil , when hot add all the ingredients for tadhka, when mustard seeds start to splutter
2. Add onions, tomato, G.chili, salt and haldi and saute for a minute or two.
3. Now add 2 cups water, add tamarind ,moong dal vada's allow it to boil until vada's turn for about 3 minutes.
4. Now add sugar and check for salt and adjust accordingly
5. Allow to boil for 3-4 minutes and remove from heat and garnish with coriander leaves.

Serve hot with rice and tastes well the next day too.

8 comments:

sra said...

My grandmother used to make this vadiyala pulusu now and then, Sreelu! I tried it once myself.

NILIMA said...

Hi!
I make it the similar way.
Somtimes I add pieces of potato & carrot and it make nice subji.

Nilima

NILIMA said...

Hi!
I make it the same way.
Sometimes I add pieces of potatos & carrots to this subji.

Nilima

Subhashini said...

Thanks for the recipe. I have a big packet at home. I can try it out and it seems to be a very easy procedure too.

Asha said...

My husband walks around everywhere with his IPOD Touch watching the score of that cricket and on UTube too, obsessively! :P
I don't understand the passion but hey, if that makes him happy!

I made a Moongbadi masala once, tastes great. They are so bland but absorb the flavor a lot. Subji looks yummy. Have a relaxing weekend, see you Monday.

kitchen queen said...

the sabzi looks yum

Anonymous said...

hi,
this looks very tasty never ate or prepared. you said they are minapavadiyaalu so they should be made of urad dal.i am just curious.

Siri said...

You have refreshed my childhood memories Sreelu. ma ammama chesedi e curry..:). Beautiful pics!

Siri

 
Web Statistics