Thursday, February 18, 2010

Pepper Fried Rice

Pepper Fried Rice
Well looks like I have a theme going this week with leftovers, early in the week posted recipe for left over roti's and today its a recipe for leftover rice. My mom used to make this once in a while and may be since she made it so rarely I really used to love it. I can count on my fingers what I would eat at home growing up, I was one picky eater but for some reason I loved this especially once I was in college. This recipe sure makes me nostalagic. Ingredients
1 Cup boiled rice ( preferable rice that's cold to touch)
1 clove of garlic
1/2 cup peas and carrot
1 green chili slit length wise
1 shallot cut very fine
2-3 tsp fresh ground pepper
1/2 tbsp pepper corns
salt according to taste
1 tbsp oil or spray like Pam


Process
1. Separate cooked rice with hand till you can see separate grains .
2. Add oil or pam in a pan, when hot add garlic and green chilies and finely sliced shallot.
3. Once shallot turns golden remove from heat and keep separate.
4. In the same pan spray pam or oil and add carrot and peas and peppercorn and saute for a minute.
5. To the above add separated rice and saute.
6. Add freshly ground pepper, salt and shallot garlic mixture and mix everything together.
7. Check for salt and adjust accordingly.



Serve piping hot and we at home eat with ketchup, I know might sound weird but that's how we ate growing up.

11 comments:

kitchen queen said...

the pepper fried rice looks very yum and tempting.

Asha said...

Great recipe for rice, bet it taste great with any side dish with gravy.

Shyam said...

I wouldn't worry about coming across as "weird" :) Everybody has "weird" family recipes!

I like ground-up pepper, but really hate whole peppercorns, so your recipe is one that appeals to me! As a kid, whenever I had pongal, I would painstakingly pick out ALL the peppercorns and set them aside. I still do that, actually! :)

www.dhaleb.com said...

I love fried rice but really tough to make it look aesthetically pleasing. You did a wonderful job on photographing it and making it look so pretty!

And now I want some fried rice...

Rina said...

Rice looks delicious..and would be gr8 w/ hot sause

Rachel said...

very nice...

sowmya.s said...

this is such a simple recipe..am surely going to do this with the left over rice next time,..

Cynthia said...

Hmmmm, a bowl of this pepper fried rice would be ideal to start my day!

Perhaps you should try this Pepper Roti? http://thegreatvegproject.blogspot.com/2010/02/pepper-roti.html

notyet100 said...

so simple yet so delicious,..

gourmet traveller said...

We used to eat fried rice with ketchup in my family as well (I still do...) - love it!

miami real estate said...

The cooking method sounds so simple, something similar I try at home whenever I run out of time but I add more vegetables to my fried rice. This post reminds me so much of college days :)

 
Web Statistics