Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Cabbage Pakodi- Cabbage Fritters

Cabbage Pakodi- Cabbage Fritters


Had an unexpected reunion of my husbands friends from Kharagpur this Sunday,made cabbage pakoda's for snack. It's actually been more than a year since I made food that's fried, after last years fiasco of oil splattering all over my face and neck, I was too scared to fry anything. It's been a year and I still have those scars, except for the ones on the eyes and thank god for that.

Here goes today's recipe
Ingredients
1 medium sized Cabbage
2 cups of chick peas flour/besan
1 tbsp ajwain (vamu)
2 tbsp rice flour
1 tbsp red chili powder
very finely chopped curry leaves (optional)
finely chopped green chillies (optional)
very finely chopped coriander leaves (optional)
about 1 - 2 cups of oil for deep frying
salt according to taste

Process
1. Roughly chop cabbages into strings of medium size.

2. Make a dry mixture of Besan, salt, red chili powder and rice flour.
3. Pass the above through a sieve to get any lumps out, having lumps might cause oil to splatter.
4. In a bowl add cabbage and if you choose all the other optional ingredients.
5. Now sprinkle the besan mixture and toss so that cabbage is well covered, sprinkle few drops of water to make it stick.
6. My version of pakoda's are very crunchy and crispy, if you would like your a little softer add another cup of besan and pour about a 1/4 glass of water and make it into a thick batter.
7. Now heat about 1-2 cups of oil in a pan and when oil is hot ( not smoking hot !!!), spoon a tbsp of batter into the oil, I personally use my hands to drop the batter into oil.
8. Allow it to fry for 2 minutes and then turn around and allow it to fry for another 2 minutes.
9. When fritters turn golden brown , remove from heat and place on a tissue to absorb any oil.
Now serve these piping hot with Chai/tea a classic Indian favorite combination. You can also serve then with regular ketchup or Indian Maggie sauces. These pakoda's can be made/ substituted with onion, spinach or a combination of both.

Caution :- Please be very careful while working with hot oil, keep your hands water free and do not have children near by ( if applicable).

5 comments:

Shivapriya said...

pakora's are yummy, i had the same. I was making medu vadas and it just blasted in oil and my whole kitchen and myself we splattered with hot oil.

since then i think twice to make fried goodies.

Glad to know that ur all fine.

Happy Ugadi

BTW i told my mil about Daram saw in ur blog she loved the store and got few pieces for me. I will post in once i get them

Cheers
SP

tigerfish said...

I like these fritters but don't think I would ever make them (deep-frying) at home.

Lori said...

This looks delicious. Never heard of these.

Sreelu said...

ShivaPriya, aww that's nice that your mil liked the store and picked up stuff, cant wait to see em. Do post when you get them.

@Tigerfish, these actually don't soak that much oil, so give it a try.

@Lori, these are very very standard indian appetizers, any Indian resturant would have them on their menu

Rina said...

Hey Sri !!! I do the same thing here...one of the few ways to incorporate cabbage into our diet..

 
Web Statistics