This week picked up a pack of frozen green channa from local Indian store, its first time trying green channa, I really love dried channa and cook it quite regularly. So today made Channa Masala instead of using regulars like garbanzo or dried black channa tried it with green channa. Though I was a little disappointed that there was absolutely no difference in taste between dried and fresh, never the less I loved spicy channa masala.
1 pack frozen green channa/ green chick peas
2 medium size Potatoes ,peeled and cubed
1 big tomato cut into small cubes
2 red onions sliced thinly
2 tbsp Ginger Garlic paste
1 tbsp pepper
1 Tbsp Red chilli powder
2 tbsp Channa Masala ( I used MDH Channa masala)
1 tbsp amchur powder (dried mango powder) optional
1 tbsp Turmeric (Haldi)
Juice of 1 lemon
1.Pressure cook frozen beans and potato add salt and tumeric/haldi.
2. In a separate pan add 2 tbsp oil , add tumeric and ginger garlic paste add onions and fry till onions turn translucent
3. Now add tomatoes , channa masala powder ,amchur powder, red chilli powder and pepper
4. Add boiled green beans ,keep aside a small cup of boiled beans
5. Grind the small cup of beans into a fine paste
6. Add the above paste to the rest of channa and allow to cook for few minutes add water if channa seems to thick
7. Allow to cook covered for about 6-8 minutes till channa soaks up all the masala flavors
7. Remove from heat and add lemon juice and garnish with coriander
Add raw red onions and fresh tomato cut into small cubes as garnish on channa and serve with warm roti/naan/chapathi.
Check our my previously blogged recipe Lahori Channa using dried black beans .