Methi Dal - Fenugreek with Lentils
Aah finally what a weather, perfect sunny day with temperature in the upper 70's, a perfect sunny California day. well technically yesterday was the same too, we went out to hike and see the caves at Pinnacle National Park, with beautiful weather, surroundings and family it could not have gotten any better. We hiked for about 4 miles and surprisingly kids did not complain, caves were beautiful. I think kids are ready for their first 5K walk, if all goes as planned we will do this next week for a good cause.
Coming to today's recipe this is a family favorite, take more time than usual but so worth the taste. If you can't find fresh Methi frozen Methi can be very well substituted
1 bunch of fenugreek/methi leaves
1 cup masoor dal/pesara pappu
1 medium sized tomato
2 garlic cloves
juice of one lemon
1 tbsp urad dal
1 tbsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp jeera
few pinches of hing
pinch of haldi/turmeric
5-6 dry red chilies
1 tsp of red chili powder (adjust according to taste)
1-2 tbsp of oil
salt according to taste
1. Chop methi finely and rinse to remove any mud and keep a side
2. In a pot add masoor dal/pesara pappu add enough water to cover and allow to cook for about 6-7 minutes on medium.
3. Now heat a pan and add oil, when hot add all the ingredients for seasoning , chopped garlic.
4. Saute for a minute and when mustard starts to pop, add tomatoes and saute
5. Now add chopped methi and saute till methi looses its raw smell, takes about 3-4 minutes.
5. Add boiled masoor dal/pesara pappu and salt and little bit of water.
6. Cook covered for about 3-4 minutes, use food processor to blend if you do not like the dry consistency. I blend it very roughly.
7. Remove from heat and add lemon juice and mix well.
Serve with roti's or rice.