Sunday, March 7, 2010

Parvanam - Rice Pudding

Parvanam - Rice Pudding

Annam Parvanam or Rice pudding is a special dish traditionally made during festivals or special events, I still remember when I tried to make this dish for the first time in life, i.e. when we moved to our apartment here in US about a decade ago, I seriously did not know how to cook and with instructions from mom ventured into making it. I am not sure if it’s missed instructions or tried to cook quickly on high flame, result was burnt pudding and boy the apartment had the smell for days, had to throw not just rice but the vessel I cooked in too. Nevertheless, have come long ways since then, learnt that patience pays especially with dish like this.
Ingredients
1 cup rice
2-3 cups of milk (I used 2%, using full fat will result in creamier pudding)
1-cup sugar
2-3 tbsp Ghee (clarified butter)
½ cup condensed milk (optional)
Few strands of saffron/kesar
¼ tbsp elachi/cardamom

For garnish
Raisins, cashew nuts, sliced almonds

Process
1.Soak strands saffron in about 3-4 tbsp of warm milk and allow it sit for few minutes.
2.Roast all the ingredients for garnish in a heavy bottom pan in clarified butter/ghee and keep as side.
3.In the same pan add rice and add milk, allow to cook in simmer for approximately 10 minutes.
4.After 10 minutes check for doneness, add milk if needed.
5.Now add elaichi/cardamom, sugar, condensed milk and saffron.
6.Mix until sugar is melted.
7.Add your choice of garnishes and remove from heat.
Serve hot and enjoy a soul satisfying rice pudding/parvanam.

4 comments:

kitchen queen said...

the rice pudding looks yum and tempting.

Suma Gandlur said...

It looks yummy. We add coconut to the paramannam and it tastes fabulous. (May be because I love coconut.) :)

aquadaze said...

there are some things whichmake my mouth water the instant they are mentioned. Rice pudding is one of those. Yum!

Heavenly Housewife said...

This looks beautiful. I think my husband would love it. I am going to bookmark it. Thanks for sharing this.
*kisses* HH

 
Web Statistics