I learnt about rice sevai in Bangalore, folks from Bangalore know how popular Darshani's and Vihar's are , seriously good food and very very affordable. Our favorite was Adiga's in Gandhibazar, hmm their food was mouth watering and one of their specialities was rice sevai. It was a favorite of ours.This is my usual dish to make when I have a potluck, seriously its so easy and can be made for any number of people with little or no effort, you can prepare a part of it and keep it ready and just toss in rice sevai on the day of the party. Tastes really good.
2 cups of rice sevai ( Usually available as dragon brand in Indian grocery stores)
Hot boiled water to soak rice sevai
1 cup of mixed vegetables ( beans, peas, soy beans, corn)
1 red onion cut finely
1 potato peel and cubed
2 tbsp ginger
1 green chili cut finely
10-15 curry leaves
handful of cashew nuts/peanuts
10 curry leaves
1 tbsp Jeera
1 tbsp urad dal
1 tbsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp haldi
Juice of 1 big lemon
1. Boil water and when boiled add this to rice sevai and keep it closed for 2 minutes.make sure rice sevai is completely covered with boiling water.
2. In a large pan take a tbsp of oil when hot add jeera,urad, mustard seeds, g.chiles, curry leaves,cashew nuts, onion, potato and all frozen vegetables.
3. Add haldi and salt and mix well.
4. add a little bit of water to cook potatoes, allow it cook for few minutes. Remove from heat and store separately.
5. Drain sevai and remove all excess water
6. Now add this to the vegetable mixture and toss well, and cook for few minutes again on the stove
7. Remove from flame and add lemon juice and generous amount of coriander and mix well.
Serve hot with sambar and coconut chutney. This is very light and does not make you feel stuffed.