Thursday, April 8, 2010

Barefoot Contessa - Back To Basics - Mustard Sauce

Barefoot Contessa - Back To Basics - Mustard Sauce


Latest addition to my cookbook library is Ina Garten's Barefoot Contessa - back to basics. I love Ina, her recipes seem very simple to make and are very comforting. She also comes across as a warm person, like a person whom you would like to be friends with. Fortunately for me Ina's book had quite a few vegetarian recipes that I can experiment with. Her desserts are to die for too, earlier made Truffles using her recipe and boy they were good.
As soon as I started browsing through the book and saw mustard sauce I knew I had to make it. Seriously it sounded so delicious and true to my words mustard sauce was heavenly.




Recipe from Ina Garten's - Back to basic cook book

Ingredients ( makes for about 1 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup Dijon mustard ( I used grainy dijon mustard)
2 tbsp dry ground mustard powder
6 tbsp sugar ( I substituted with honey)
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
2/3 cups olive oil
6 tbsp chopped dill ( I did not use it my recipe today)
1 tbsp fresh ground pepper ( My addition)
pinch of salt ( My addition)

Process.
1. Combine mustard,ground mustard,sugar and vinegar in a small bowl.
2. Slowly whisk in oil and stir.
3. If using dill add chopped dill and mix it well.




This can be used as a salad dressing on your choice of veggies.

Made a salad with lettuce,carrots, cucumber and few pita chips and tossed in mustard sauce and mixed it well. Well it was one delicious and healthy lunch.

4 comments:

Rina said...

Used to luv Ina's show on Food TV..She truly is a warm person and has a simple way of presenting food. This mustard sauce should be gr8 way to get those salads in diet..Nice pics..

NILIMA said...

Please spaecify mesurement for 1/2 Dijon mustard.
Is it Cup or tablespoon?
Nice recipe.
Will try it after i get measurement.

Nilima

Sreelu said...

Esther, thanks ra. Hope you are doing well.

Nilima, thanks for pointing out, I edited my post,it's 1/2 cup. Let me know how it tastes after you have tried it out.

Nandita said...

This looks absolutely delicious - something I will love for its kick and pungency - want to try it real soon! I am a fan of Ina too - her warm personality is evident on her show

 
Web Statistics