Monday, April 5, 2010

Beetroot Coconut Sabji

If there is a vegetable that could make me run miles it would beetroot hands down, It used to a scary day growing up if beetroot was cooked, cause I knew I would get yelled at for not eating. As the wise saying goes " what goes around comes around" my kids do the same thing. I kind of feel guilty yelling at them since I know how they feel. But off late tried to make it different ways and I am glad that boys are liking it so far.
Today's recipe is one such attempt to get the root accepted.
Simple and easy to make.
Ingredients
3-4 Medium sized beets, peeled and cubed
1/2 cup grated coconut fresh or frozen works
2 tbsp spice powder ( I used idli powder, can substitute with jeera /cumin/dhania powder)
For seasoning
1/2 tbsp jeera
1/2 tbsp mustard
1/2 tbsp urad dal
8-10 curry leaves
2 tbsp oil for frying
5-6 red chilies
salt according to taste.
Process.
1. Cut beets into about an inch cubes and microwave for about 3-4 minutes on high, this just speeds up cooking.
2. Heat a pan add oil and all ingredients for tadhka/seasoning.
3. When mustard starts to splutter add beets and saute for 4-5 minutes on high.
4. Add coconut ,spice powder and salt and allow to cook for about 5 minutes, sauteing in the the middle.

Remove from heat and serve with choice of carbs.

2 comments:

Desi Mom, Desi Dad said...

love the color!

Maija Haavisto said...

I find it interesting that you didn't like beetroot as a kid nor do your kids now. My boyfriend has always been an extremely picky eater and beetroot was one of the very few veggies he was willing to eat before we met (luckily I've managed to change that in the past ten years!)

I also find it interesting that in almost all recipes you measure the spices by tablespoons! I'm a spice fiend but still I usually only use teaspoons (except for coriander and jeera in some recipes, maybe amchoor).

 
Web Statistics