Sunday, May 9, 2010

Dill Sambar



Hope everyone had a good weekend, my weekend could not have been better. Mothers day was celebrated a day early with a surprise lunch organized by dads which was uber sweet and when you have good company and good food it cannot get any better.
Sunday was special since kids made every effort to make me feel special .Loved all the cute presents,cards and letter saying I am the best mom ever,I really hope they feel this way forever. Looking forward to the week ahead.

Coming to today's recipe , Dill I think a herb is not something that you like instantly atleast for me it took a while to get used to taste, but once you start liking the taste you have a world of ways that Dill can be used. Dill and potatoes is one of my favorite, dill is used in many dips but today made Sambar courtesy a good friends recipe. Loved the taste and this recipe is a keeper for sure.



Ingredients
2 cups of tamrind water
1 bunch of fresh Dill
1 onion cut into small pieces
1 tomato
salt
haldi/tumeric
2 tbsp Samabar powder ( My favorite MTR)
1 tbsp brown sugar/Jaggery
2 cups toor dal paste ( toor dal pressure cooked and made into a fine paste)
For thadka
1 tbsp jeera
1 tbsp mustard
1 tbsp urad dal
pinch of hing
3-4 red chilies
1/2 tsp methi seeds
8-10 curry leaves
Process
1. in an pan add tamrind water ,chopped Dill, Tomatoes, and Onion and salt and haldi and allow to boil for about 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender
2. Now add toor dal paste and mix well
3. Add sambar powder and jaggery, check for salt and adjust accordingly
4. In a seperate pan add oil and all the ingredients for thadka and when mustard starts to splutter add this to boiling sambar
5. Mix well and allow to boil for about 5 minutes, garnish with coriander






Sambar will have a very strong Dill flavor and it tastes delicious with rice or roti's.

5 comments:

Apu said...

Dill makes such a lovely addition to dal!!

maría cecilia said...

Dear Sreelu, so happy to hear you had a happy Mother`s day... me too.
The recipe sound very good, I so love Indian food, everytime I can I go to some indian restaurant to try their food, but not as good as in India itself!!
Cariños,
Maria Cecilia

Queen said...

Looks like your recipes will come very handy when i come over there.. :)

Vimla

Sreelu said...

aww Vimla you got that right. You have my blog and me for your recipes.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Maija Haavisto said...

Sounds very interesting. Often recipes - even in Indian blogs - have too little spices for my tastes, but can't blame this recipe for lack of spiciness! I haven't really used dill much, but just bought a bunch of it frozen, so could try out this one.

 
Web Statistics