Have You Had Your Five Today - Hearty Soup
Had a great party at friends this Saturday, during many a conversations host mentioned about getting all vegetables into a soup which her kids love. I really loved the idea and decided to experiment with mine. Boy it is a hit, kids loved it since all the veggies were camouflaged and soup was hearty it did not take much effort to get them clean up their bowls.
Super duper easy and add vegetables to your heart content
1/2 cabbage head
2 tomatoes ( I peel the skin off)
2 red bell peppers
3 large carrots peeled
1/2 red onion (optional) cut into cubes
1 cup spinach
6-8 garlic cloves
pepper according to taste
salt according to taste ( I used garlic flavored salt)
For kids version
1/2 cup milk
and tbsp of butter
1. Grate all the above vegetables except onion,tomatoes and garlic in a food processor or chop them finely by knife
2. Add the grated vegetables ,cubed onions and tomatoes into a pressure cooker , add salt ,pepper and water just to cover the veggies and cook till you hear two whistles.
3. In a separate pan add a tbsp of oil and add garlic and saute till garlic turns golden brown.
4. Remove lid from pressure cooker and add browned garlic and puree using hand mixer.If you like yours chunky just use hand spatula to mush the veggies.
5. Allow it boil for 2-3 minutes and check for salt and pepper and adjust accordingly.
6. When serving kids I add milk and butter and allow it to boil for a minute or two till butter melts, this makes soup creamier, which kids love.
I had this for my lunch today and boy it's very filling. Give it a try.