Sunday, April 25, 2010

Kohlrabi with Coconut- Oh so easy and simple

Kohlrabi with Coconut- Oh so easy and simple

An update of a friend on facebook prompted me to cook Kohlrabi this weekend, kohlrabi belongs to the same family as cabbage,Brussel sprouts and cauliflower. This is also called Nool Kol in Telugu I believe. Well I for one have never had this while in India. Anyways heard its supposed to help people with diabetes in controlling sugar levels.

Must say it has the same pungent smell like cabbage but surprisingly very mild in flavor and easy to cook.
Ingredients
3 Medium sized Kohlrabi
1/2 cup grated coconut ( fresh if available else dried coconut works just fine)
3-4 green chilies


For seasoning
2 tbsp of oil
1 tbsp each of mustard seeds,urad dal, jeera/cumin
about 2 pinches of hing/asafoetida
few curry leaves.
salt according to taste.

Process
1. Peel skin of Kohlrabi, its quite hard but once skin is peeled it seems just like potato.
2. Cut them into small cubes.

3. In a microwave safe bowl add cut kohlrabi and microwave for four minutes on high, turn and microwave again for four minutes, this helps cut down cooking time quite significantly :).
4. Heat oil in a pan and when hot add all the ingredients mentioned for seasoning and saute till mustard seeds start to pop.
5. Slit green chilies into half and add to seasoning.
6. Now add microwaved Kohlrabi and mix till seasoning coats Kohlrabi pieces.
7. After 3 minutes add coconut and mix well.
8. Allow to cook for 3-4 minutes.
Remove from heat and serve with rice or roti's.

4 comments:

Kay Lorraine said...

This looks delicious, although I don't think I know of anywhere in Hawaii where I can buy Kohlrabi. I might try it with cauliflower, however.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Warmest aloha,

Kay Lorraine
Honolulu, Hawaii

Apu said...

This looks super!! Can't wait for kohlrabi to make an appearance in the local farmer's market!!

Srimathi said...

I used to get these veggies from the co-op that sends you organic food. I did not know what to do with them. I always thought they were like beets and since I never liked beets I just gave these away. Must remember to make this recipe the next time.

Sreelu said...

Kay, wow cauliflower substitute sounds yum, i would love to hear your feed back.

Apu, Let me know how you like it.

Srimathi, they are completely different than beets, more like radish flavor. try it you might like it.

 
Web Statistics