Monday, May 3, 2010

Anapakaya /Sorakaya Pachadi - Bottle Gourd Chutney

Anapakaya Pachadi - Bottle Gourd Chutney



On my last call with my mom she mentioned about Mangoes and how she is looking to get good variety of raw mangoes to make typical South Indian pickle in Delhi, ahh the memories of making pickle go way back for me , more than making of the pickle it is the memories of summer season where the whole family gathered for vacations. Grandparents, aunty's , and the entire cousin clan. Every one was given a chore and we had such fun doing it. As kids all we had to do was to take a piece of cloth and wipe the raw mangoes dry, it was fun to sit with everyone and listen to their tales and stories etc . Anyways I seriously don't know how to make those elaborate pickles nor do I posses that much patience however that said today's pickle is a kind of fresh pickle that's to be eaten in a day or two.

Ingredients
1 medium sized bottle gourd/anapakaya/sorakaya
6-8 green chilies (adjust accordingly)
2 garlic
tbsp of tamarind paste
1/2 cup of toasted peanuts

for seasoning
tbsp urad dal
2 tbsp jeera
3-4 red chilies
pinch of hing
1 tspn tumeric/haldi
salt according to taste
6-7 curry leaves
1 tbsp of oil

Process
1. Heat tbsp of oil in a pan, when oil get hot add urad dal,jeera , red chilies, hing and curry leaves.
2. After few seconds add red chilies and green chilies and saute.
3. Add peeled bottle gourd cut into cubes about an inch
4. Add salt and tumeric and mix well.
5. Cook covered for about 3-4 minutes till bottle gourd seems tender and cooked.
6. Now add all the above and garlic, peanuts and tamarind paste and grind till it turns into a paste.
7. Check for salt and adjust accordingly.



Measurement of chilies in this recipe is on the spicy side, reduce if you like it milder. Enjoy with steaming hot rice.

7 comments:

Georgianna said...

I could just hang out here all day. I love all your recipes and imagining eating all these fabulous dishes! I don't really cook, though (no time) so it's a treat for me. I will probably send my husband here, too, so he can see what he's missing! :) Thanks so much for your visit. :) – g

Apu said...

Yum, I love this chutney - usually make this same recipe with chow-chow!!

Rina said...

Never tried pachadi w/ anapakaya..like the idea of adding roasted peanuts..it would definetly give it a good texture..

Vanamala Hebbar said...

Nice recipe...

kitchen queen said...

hearing for the first time of bottlegourd chutney, but this looks very delicious and yum.

Sumi said...

never made a chutney with Bottle guard, sound intersting.Have bookmarked it.

Sreelu said...

Aww Georgianna, you are super sweet with your comments. I love ur blog too it transports me into a magical world looking at all those beautiful englisg roses.

Apu, what is chow-chow ? will google it right now .

Rina, thanks ra !!

KQ & Sumi, if you guys ever try it let me know how you like it !!

 
Web Statistics