Anapakaya Pachadi - Bottle Gourd Chutney
On my last call with my mom she mentioned about Mangoes and how she is looking to get good variety of raw mangoes to make typical South Indian pickle in Delhi, ahh the memories of making pickle go way back for me , more than making of the pickle it is the memories of summer season where the whole family gathered for vacations. Grandparents, aunty's , and the entire cousin clan. Every one was given a chore and we had such fun doing it. As kids all we had to do was to take a piece of cloth and wipe the raw mangoes dry, it was fun to sit with everyone and listen to their tales and stories etc . Anyways I seriously don't know how to make those elaborate pickles nor do I posses that much patience however that said today's pickle is a kind of fresh pickle that's to be eaten in a day or two.
1 medium sized bottle gourd/anapakaya/sorakaya
6-8 green chilies (adjust accordingly)
tbsp of tamarind paste
1/2 cup of toasted peanuts
tbsp urad dal
2 tbsp jeera
3-4 red chilies
pinch of hing
1 tspn tumeric/haldi
salt according to taste
6-7 curry leaves
1 tbsp of oil
1. Heat tbsp of oil in a pan, when oil get hot add urad dal,jeera , red chilies, hing and curry leaves.
2. After few seconds add red chilies and green chilies and saute.
3. Add peeled bottle gourd cut into cubes about an inch
4. Add salt and tumeric and mix well.
5. Cook covered for about 3-4 minutes till bottle gourd seems tender and cooked.
6. Now add all the above and garlic, peanuts and tamarind paste and grind till it turns into a paste.
7. Check for salt and adjust accordingly.
Measurement of chilies in this recipe is on the spicy side, reduce if you like it milder. Enjoy with steaming hot rice.