I know bitter gourd is on the not so favorite list of many people including me , but since last few years have learnt to cook it the right way and ever since bitter gourd is regulary cooked at home, now with kids its another ball game. They just plain do not eat hey I can't blame them I was just like them at their age hehe .
1/2 lb bitter gourd
1 big red onion chopped finely
about a tbsp of ginger finely chopped
1/2 cup tamarind juice
1/2 tbsp red chili powder
3 tbsp jaggery/brown sugar/regular sugar
salt according to taste
1 tbsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp jeera/cumin seeds
1 tbsp urad dal
pinch of hing
about 1/3 cup oil.
1.cut bittergourd into thin slices, this is key finer you slice easier and quicker to cook.
2. Heat a pan add oil and when hot add urad dal, jeera, mustard , ginger and hing and saute till mustard pops.
3. Add finely chopped onions and saute till they turn brown
4. Now add bitter gourd ,salt and red chili powder and try for about 8- 10 minutes till bitter gourd turns brown.
5. Now add tamarind water and brown sugar and cook till the water evaporates takes about 5 minutes or so.
6. Check for salt and adjust accordingly.
Now follow this recipe and bitter gourd will not taste that bitter after all :)