Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Saffron Mango Lassi




I know, I know seems like I have caught the fever, Mango fever that is, but I can't help it's the season. Long days and hot sun makes you want to sip this cold concussion and seriously I love Mango lassi, must mention never heard of Mango lassi until I came to US. Lassi as I know was plain yogurt rich in cream and with cardamom and nuts beaten till it gets frothy and served cold. In US a sure find in any Indian restaurants in Mango lassi, pretty much the same recipe as Indian lassi but kicked up a notch with Mango .
Mango lassi makes a perfect accompaniment to spicy food, it cools your stomach and lets you absorb the spices .



My version today is Mango lassi with Saffron for added flavor. I ABSOUTELY love it. very simple yet very exotic.

Ingredients ( Makes for about 4 cups)
1/2 a can of Mango pulp ( Can be found in any Indian stores, I love Kesar Mango pulp)
2 cups of yogurt ( I use home made, can be substituted with greek yogurt or any other plain store brought)
1/2 cup milk
pinch of saffron strands ( soaked in warm milk for about 1/2 hr)
sugar optional


Process
1. Blend yogurt/milk and mango pulp using a hand blender, till it froths.
2. Now add saffron and blend till it seems well incorporated.
3. Refrigerate and serve chill.



Now if this does not tell of Indian summer nothing else will.

Schools about to end and its going to be summer break for kids, looking forward to summer.
Wishing everyone a fun filled and a safe summer.
Love,
Sreelu

13 comments:

Pavani said...

Mango lassi looks absolutely delicious.

Priya said...

So beautiful...i am sure it tastes good..

Happy Cook said...

Beautiful and looks so so good. Wish i had a glass.

Apu said...

Looks great - saffron and mango - yumm!!

Asha said...

I couldn't take it anymore after seeing all those yummy Mango dishes, I made one too. Looks wonderful! :)

Chocolate Shavings said...

This looks nice and refreshing!

Sukanya Ramkumar said...

Beautiful click. My fav lassi. YUM!

I'm a Home Chef !!! said...

looks so rich and creamy!very beautiful click!

Neha said...

You have such a yummy blog! Adding it to my daily list.. :) cheers!

Maija Haavisto said...

What an amazing color, especially in the first picture! I love mango lassi, especially when it has just the right amount of cardamom. Can't really imagine how it would taste with saffron instead of cardamom, but maybe I'll have to try for myself?

Sreelu said...

Thanks everyone for compliments on the pic.Mango lassi for me anytime :)

Anonymous said...

hi sreelu...i vry much liked this mango lassi recipe...can u pls tell me where can i find saffron in usa and where can i get it? and with wat name it is called?

potsoup said...

I thought your pictures for this dish was the best on the net so I included it in my post about Delhi : http://potsoup.wordpress.com/2013/10/13/what-the-world-eats-india-delhi/

 
Web Statistics