Sunday, August 29, 2010

Go Green -Corriander & Pudina Rice

Go Green- Coriander & Pudina Rice

Its been a while since I have updated my blog, I truly miss blogging if only there were 48hrs how I wish for that . I seriously had to make a choice and prioritize my tasks and within the parameters I have blogging sure was pushed down. Never the less every opportunity read it as few minutes of spare time I find I get started on blogging.

Had friends over the weekend and truly had a very fun evening. Thank god for we choose our friends and company we keep and I feel blessed to have chosen few very special people in my life.
Schools back on and activities are back on full swing, between chauffeuring kids to school and activities and events over the weekend hardly get time to breathe and take in a minute without an agenda.

I just couldn't resist fresh greens in desi stores spinach, methi, gongura, cilantro. Picked few bunches of all the above. My mom always whipped up quite few varieties of rices with fresh greens and so today's recipe is an inspiration from her.
Ingredients
2 bunches of fresh cilantro
1 cup fresh pudina
1 cup green peas ( I used frozen peas and carrot in today's recipe)
2-3 green chilies
2 tbsp of ginger finely grated
1 1/2 cups of basmati rice
2-3 bay leaves
6-8 cloves
about 10-15 pepper corns
star annise
tbsp of jeera
tbsp of garam masala (optional)
2 tbsp of butter
2-3 tbsp of oil.

Process
1. Chop coriander and pudina finely.


2. Heat about a tbsp of oil in a pan and add chopped cilantro and pudina and allow to fry for about 2-3 minutes.
3. Transfer contents into a blender and pulse into a fine paste.



4. Now add remain oil in the same pan, add ginger,cloves,pepper corns, bay leaves, star annise, jeera and garam masala and saute till you get a nice aroma take about 1-2 minutes.



5. Add peas and carrot and saute for a minute.
6. Add coriander paste and saute for about a minute.
7. To the above add washed basmati rice and mix till rice grains are well coated.
Add salt according to taste and saute for about 1-2 minutes
8. transfer contents into rice cooker and add about 2 1/2 cups of water(check instructions according to rice)



Few minutes into cooking aroma fills the house , be gentle with rice and do not toss too much as it break. I love when rice grains stand out and are dry. Allow to cool and then give it a gentle toss. Serve with raita and enjoy !!

7 comments:

Priya said...

Wat a catchy and tempting green rice.

notyet100 said...

i always luv one pot dish,.this looks yum,.

Rina said...

I can imagine the aroma of this rice Sri..With pudina and kothimiri we can't go wrong Uh!! Our fav herbs..

Cheers to happy busy life..

Liyana Rushdan said...

deliciouuuss

PreeOccupied said...

I make a similar rice, but mine also has shrimps thrown in. Doesnt fresh mint and cilantro just zest things up?

Patricia Torres said...

Gosh. I cant take my eyes off it.. Looks yummm yummm!!

Siri said...

I am making this, pretty soon. guess we can do the same for palak rice too. Even I like when each grain stands apart.

Beautiful presentation Sri.

Siri

 
Web Statistics