Sunday, August 1, 2010

Moori Mixture- Churmuri - Road Side Eats !!

Moori Mixture- Churmuri - Road Side Eat !!



How is everyone enjoying their summer ? I can't believe it's August already and four more months we would be bidding farewell to 2010, time flew by so quick and three more weeks kids get back to school. This summer sure seems like a short one.

Today had few friends drop by for tea, unexpected visits are perhaps one of the sweetest ones, no agenda just catching up and having a good time. That said I haven't yet gotten into a grove since my vacation , so many chores still left undone some how this time adjusting took more time then ever, may be due to priorities at work. I feel I am stretching myself thin . So all this meant my pantry was not stocked and I had nothing to offer quick glance around only thing I found was a bag of Puffed rice or moorilu as its called in Telugu. So made Moori mixture or chur muri its called else where.


Ingredients
2 cups of Puffed rice
a pinch of hing
tbsp of oil


All the below vegetables cut into small cubes
1 tomato
1 red onion
1/2 cucumber peeled and cubed
2 small boiled potatoes
1/2 cup raw mango cut into cubes
coriander
1 green chili cut very very finely (adjust accordingly)
grated carrot ( thought I did not add today)
juice of one medium lemon


dry ingredients (adjust and add flavoring according to your choice )
1 tsp amchur powder
1 tsp chat masala
1 tbsp rock salt
salt according to taste
1 tsp red chili powder
1 tbsp tamarind/date chutney ( I used store brought)

fried peanuts for garnish

Add tomatoes,onion,coriander,green chilies,boiled potato cubes in a bowl.
Fresh cucumber from my backyard nothing beats home grown taste. Tomatoes and lemon used today are from yard too.Though pantry was not stocked thanks to sunshine last few months yard is stocked with fresh greens and lovely flowers.
Heat a wide and shallow pan allow it to heat, when heated add tsp of oil and a pinch of hing and few mustard seeds and when mustard pops add puffed rice or moorilu and saute till puffed rice gets crispy. Keep an eye this whole process takes less than 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool for few minutes.
Now mix puffed rice with dry ingredients first and wet ones later, toss well check for salt, adjust accordingly. add a generous dose of coriander leaves and peanuts give it one final toss.

Serve in cones made of paper along with a bottle of chilled coke , I am born and brought up in Vizag for a major part of my life and can't tell you how much we vizagites love moori mixutre
on the beach. Glad to report that my friends loved this. Hope you give this a try and if you do let me know how it turned out.


Take care,
Sreelu

14 comments:

Once Upon A Tea Time said...

Looks very tempting!

Satya said...

hi sreelu,

chur muri looks so delicious...my all time favourite ... nice clicks very tempting...drooling here can u pass me some : p

Satya
http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

kitchen queen said...

yummy and tempting churmuri to have with evening tea.

kitchen queen said...

yummy and tempting churmuri to have with evening tea.

Swapna said...

You made me nostalgic, Akka. Very nice recipe. Also adding fried peanuts to this mixture will taste very good.

Anonymous said...

Loved it.. thanks babe.

Indrani said...

Churmur looks tempting..love this simple snack anytime with tea..lovely clicks

Indrani
Recipe Junction(http://riappyayan.blogspot.com)

Joudie's Mood Food said...

This looks like exactly the type of food i love to eat. What a lovley post. I love the way you have served it in paper.....Next on my cooking list.

Srimathi said...

I know that it is a simple street food, but I love it anytime. The recipe looks simple and easy to follow.

Srivalli said...

Looks great Sreelu..

Sreelu said...

Thanks all for your compliments,glad you guys liked it.

Swapna, I edited post and included peanuts, cannot agree more that peanut add such flavor. wonder how I forgot about it. Thanks again.

Smita said...

one of my most fav dish :D

Had read Almost Single 2 yrs back & as per me its just an average read highly over rated. what's ur view?

Sharmi said...

While you read that book I would munch this! looks lovely.

Sailaja said...

recollected my childhood days eating muri mixture in rama krishna beach. Lovely.

 
Web Statistics