Can't believe its Thanksgiving week already, this year sure seems to have flown by in a jiffy. I have this week off from work and I can't tell how much I have been waiting for this week to come. Now that it's here and a day has already passed by I am dreading that it's going to be over before I know. Looking forward to a trip with family and spending some "ME" time.
Coming to today's recipe Uttappam, it's a staple south Indian breakfast. I usually make uttappam from Idli batter which is about two to three days old.
2 cups Idli batter
2 tbsp rice flour
1 cup shredded cabbage
1 cup finely diced tomato
1 cup very finely chopped red onion
2 tbsp finely chopped chilies
2 tbsp jeera
cilantro finely chopped
salt according to taste
couple of tbsp of red chilli powder
1. Add rice flour, salt and jeera to idli batter and mix well.
2. Heat tawa (frying pan) allow for the pan to get hot.
3. Once hot spoon a ladle full of batter and spread to make a round.
4. Add a tspn of oil around the circumference
5. Now add your choice of topping cabbage, onion,red chilli powder, cilantro and tomato.
6. Cook for a minute covered.
7. remove the cover and turn uttappam around optionally you can add a tspn of oil around the corners.
8. Allow to cook for about minute or two turn it , remove from heat and serve.
Few chutneys that go very well with Uttappam are
Split Peas Chutney
Noting goes better with Uttappam then a hot cup of coffee.