Monday, December 13, 2010

Spicy Marinated & Baked Tofu Noodles

Spicy Marinated & Baked Tofu Noodles


Can't believe few more days and we will bid farewell to 2010. This year sure went by very quick, when I look back at 2010 few months seem blur. Overall this year has been fantastic touch wood ,one of the most satisfying years of my life both professionally and personally. Today I checked my goal list for 2010 and yes I have made through everyone of them , I was stretched thin but glad that I had the will to make to finish line. If there is one regret I have I think it would be about my blog updates, I seriously wanted to be more regular and also redo my blog which due to conflicting priorities always took back seat.

Last month my husband was travelling and I was alone with kids, this is the first time ever . I was very nervous about managing kids/work etc but thanks to the support system I had both family and friends month sure passed by quick. It sure meant a world to me for all those who gave us company and checked on us to make sure we were doing OK. Thanks a ton. I knew being a single mom was tough but this last one month made me realize and respect how tough it can be to raise kids being single.
Now that husband is back things are back to normal :)


Today's recipe is courtesy my neighbour. Our kids are in same grade and go to same school, she is an awesome cook and today's recipe comes from her kitchen.
Ingredients
1 block firm tofu
1 pack of hakka noodles/chow mein noodles
1/2 cup diced red onions/capsicum / scallions / green onions / carrot .
1/2 inch fresh ginger julienned
3-4 green chillies (adjust according to taste)
2-3 garlic cloves.

For marination
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup vinegar
about a tbsp red chili sauce
pinch of salt and pepper.

For stir fry
2 tbsp oil
left over marinade from above
crushed roasted peanuts
roasted sesame seeds
about 2 tbsp of maggi garlic and chili ketchup



In a bowl whisk all the ingredients for the marinade, keep aside about 1/4 cup for later use.
cut tofu into cubes and prick tofu pieces gently with tooth prick.
Add cut tofu to the marinade and allow it to soak for atleast 1/2 hr, you could probably soak over night for better marination.



Spread marinated tofu on lined baking sheet .
And broil on high for about 25 minutes, turning in between to make sure tofu is well cooked overall.



Removed baked tofu from heat and keep aside.
In the mean time cook noodles according to instructions and keep aside.
Allow wok to be heated and add 2 tbsp of oil.
Add saved marinade, add ginger , green chilies, garlic and saute till garlic turns brown take about 1/2 a minute.
Now add the vegetables and saute for a minute or two and then add tomato ketchup.
check for salt and adjust accordingly.
Now add boiled noodles and mix well.
Add baked tofu and to the mix and saute for another minute.
Remove from heat and garnish with generous dose of green onions, sesame seeds and crushed roasted peanuts.




Makes for a protein packed comfy and delicious dinner.

Happy holiday everyone stay warm and stay safe.

13 comments:

Sailaja said...

Yummy

Sumi said...

good to see you back.the noodles look awesome..perfect for this winter weather

Pavani said...

Those noodles look yumm.. My son would looove them. Will be trying them soon.
I totally agree with you about single parents, I for one, cannot handle home, work & kids alone. They should be super heros in my opinion.

Rina said...

Wonderful post Sri..Can't imagine statying alone with kids, even if my husband left just for a few days for conferencing, etc...
BTW congrats on your PMP..
Happy holidays..
Esther

Vibaas said...

Love this. A must try :)

Sreelu said...

Thanks all and wishing all of you happy holidays as well.

Apu said...

That looks good!!

Indie.Tea said...

I made a similar dish on the stovetop a couple days ago, but I love the idea of baking...less clean up! And I bet a very unique flavor too.

comedyrocks.com said...

As much as I love your website I also hate it - I always try your recipes - and I eat, eat eat!
Happy Holidays!

Katerina said...

First time at your blog. These noodles look terrific. I love tried and true recipes.

Sarah Jones said...

Hi!
I appreciate your blog writing!
We are a Sweden based social media company and have clients in India as well as in Europe. I am looking for blog writers to be members of Spot and Tell in India.
Our members get an opportunity to stay in hotels, retreat and spa, attend food and wine tasting events for free and write about it on web and share feedback. Their blogs are linked to our European and Indian websites.
Check out our current contest :http://in.spotandtell.com

If you would like to know more or be a membrer and attend our events in India, please reply to me at sarah@spotandtell.se
Looking forward for your reply,
Sarah Jones

Colin Harris said...

Hi

Im going to try the Spicy Marinated & Baked Tofu Noodles but wondered what vinegar you used? I on;ly have malt in the house.

Thanks

Sreelu said...

Colin,

I have used the regular white vinegar.

 
Web Statistics