Monday, February 28, 2011

Broccoli, Carrot and Nuts stir fry

Broccoli, Carrot and Nuts stir fry 


My kids are very picky eaters, its very hard to get them excited about eating always in playful mode either physically or verbally , to get them to quite down for the few minutes while we sit down for dinner is a challenge everyday.

I try to cook what kids like and due to this we (husband and I)  have changed our food habits quite a bit  toned down the spiciness, less curries that are gravy kind its hard to cook for two different groups so we choose the easy way out to eat the way kids prefer.

So today's recipe is one of their favorites and takes me less that 10 minutes from start to finish has a good dose of vegetables and nuts  so it's a win-win for me and the kids.

Ingredients
2 cups of broccoli, cut into small florets
1 cup of carrot chopped finely, frozen carrots can be substituted
1 cup of mixed nuts ( blanched almonds, cashew nuts, chopped pecans)
for seasoning
1 tbsp of oil
1/2 tspn of ginger garlic paste
1 tbsp channa dal
1/2 tspn cumin powder
pinch of pepper flakes
salt according to taste

Process
1. Microwave broccoli and carrot on high for 3-4 minutes, till they turn tender, adjust according to your MV settings
2. Toast the nuts lightly for few seconds and keep aside
3. In a pan add oil and when hot add ginger garlic paste, cumin powder, channa dal and pepper flakes, mix well until raw smell of garlic is gone.
4. Now add microwaved broccoli and carrot and saute for a minute or two.
5. Add toasted nuts and mix well.

Remove from heat and serve. You can add this as a filling to whole wheat tortilla and make it a wrap makes for an excellent lunch.

11 comments:

Camels & Chocolate said...

This looks delicious! Ever since my husband and I got married (and thus, got a lot of awesome Calphalon pans!), he's been all about making some stir fry. This seems like a good recipe to mix up our current, monotonous meals!

Once Upon A Tea Time said...

This sounds great! Will try it, Sridevi :)

Priti said...

Love the combo and looks so gud ..lovely pic

kitchen queen said...

Wow! I am drooling here the brocolli with carrots and the nuts look so crunchy and colourful that I want to grab the whole plate.

Soumya Vineeth said...

Looks rich, tasty too I bet!

Rina said...

Don't tell me dear..the challenges with kids eating..I'm just waiting for them to grow a lil bit more so that we all can enjoy the spicy food..ha ha..

Boys like brocolli & nuts...

Jun said...

10 minutes? I'll take this. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious. I am unfamiliar with ginger garlic paste. What is it and where can I find it. Thanks!

Sreelu said...

Anonymous, ginger garlic paste can be found in any indian stores or you can make it home made by using equal portions of ginger and garlic and running through a processor or pestle and mortar. However this dish tastes equally good without the paste too.

Thanks for all your comments everyone !!

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

This looks so tasty!

Anonymous said...

Hi! This looks amazing! Does anyone know what channa dal is? Google tells me it is dried beans that have to be soaked and cooked, but this recipe makes it seem like it is also some sort of spice. Where might I find it?

 
Web Statistics