My current fad for Quinoa is still going strong, I am so in love with this grain, absolutely lost any cravings for rice I had previously, Quinoa keeps me full for a longer times and helps control hunger prangs.
Today's recipe is a variation of classic south indian breakfast Upma substituting rava with quinoa and with generous dose of nuts.
1 cup quinoa
1 cup frozen peas and carrot
1 small potato peeled and cubed into small pieces
1 onion chopped finely
1/2 tomato cut into small cubes
2 tbsp oil for thadka
1/2 cup of mixed nuts (cashew nuts, blanched almonds, pecans, peanuts)
2 tbsp ginger finely chopped
2 G.chilies cut finely
8 - 10 curry leaves
1 tbsp jeera
1 tbsp urad dal
1 tbsp channa dal
1 tbsp mustard seeds
Salt according to taste
1. Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan ,add Jeera , Urad dal, Mustard ,Ginger, G.Chiles, channa dal, nuts and curry leaves, allow mustard to splutter
2. Now add Onions ,Potatoes , Tomatoes and frozen peas and carrots, when onions turn translucent add 2 glasses on water add salt according to taste
3. let water come to full boil then add quinoa and stir well.
4. Mix well and cook covered for 4-5 minutes.
5. Let is cool for 5-10 minutes this will make quinoa fluff up