Friday, February 25, 2011

Leftover Mania - Rajma Chili Soup - Spicy Indian Red Bean And Lentils Soup

Leftover Mania - Rajma Chili Soup - Spicy Indian Red Bean And Lentils Soup

Weekend is almost here and I am looking forward to Oscars, there used to be a time in my life where I would have watched every movie nominated, it's a far cry from that today, however I did watch two of the three movies nominated in the animation category :)

This weekend calls for  snow in bayarea, yes you have heard it right if  indeed it  snow it's going to be the first time experiencing snow in valley for me , looking forward to it.

Today's recipe is a of leftover  makeover of Rajma and other miscellaneous vegetables lying in the refrigerator, I have been cooking since long yet I still can never cook the exact amount, there is always leftovers and most of the time its tossed out, however guilty I feel about throwing out I wish I had other options. Yesterday for some reason made soup/chili with left over Rajma and it turned out delicious,it was a soup kind of night cold and rainy.

Ingredients
1 cup of leftover Rajma (soaked or canned red kidney beans can be substituted)
2 ripe tomatoes
2 tbsp celery finely chopped
any soup flavoring , I used store brought maggi tomato soup flavoring or tomato paste
salt and pepper according to taste
1 tspn of chaat masala

for topping
green onions, avocado, tomatoes, coriander, red onions, bread.

Process
1. Heat a tbsp of oil/butter add tomatoes and celery and saute till they soften
2. Add left of Rajma or canned red beans
3. Add soup flavoring and/or tomato paste.
4. Add water to thin and mix well, adjust for salt and pepper
5. Add chat masala and with a hand blender blend the above, depending on how you like your soup either make it completely blended or leave it chunky the way I like
6. Remove from heat and serve hot.


Add toppings of your choice and one hearty warm and delicious soup is yours to relish, felt so accomplished for using up all the left over sabji and vegetables, small things in life I say :)

btw bread I used was Masala bread from Rangoli, Rangoli is the go to place for sweets in the valley make sure to pick one next time you visit utterly butterly delicious.
Have a good weekend !!


Rangoli Sweets
1584 Halford Ave
Santa ClaraCA 95051


8 comments:

kitchen queen said...

refreshing, colourful and healthy soup.

Sailaja said...

Healthy and mouth watering. Perfect for this weather..

Rina said...

Luv the soup with toppings, Sri..and do post pics of snow if any..

Soumya said...

This one is so colorful n healthy
Happy following you frm my new space
http://entepachakalokam.com

Soumya said...

Love this, easy to prepare n healthy
Happy following you
http://entepachakalokam.com

Srivalli said...

Beautiful pictures Sreelu..

Priti said...

Very innovative and looks delish...love the pics

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

I love what u did with the leftovers and the Oscar weekend sure gave u lods of reasons for the deliciousness!
Am sure u loved and enjoyed the awards :-)

 
Web Statistics