Tomato, Ginger & Pepper Rasam
2-3 ripe tomatoes
about an inch of ginger
tbsp of tamarind paste
1/2 tbsp pepper (adjust according to taste, intent is to have a spicy rasam)
salt according to taste
1/2 tbsp of sugar or jaggery
1 tspn mustard seeds
1 tspn jeera/cumin seeds
1 tspn urad dal
pinch of hing
tbsp of oil/ghee
few curry leaves
3-4 red chilies
1. Boil water and allow whole tomatoes to be cooked for about 30 to 45 seconds
2. Remove from heat and add to iced water.
3. deskin tomatoes and keep aside
4. Blend peeled tomatoes and ginger together using either a hand blender or grinder.
5. Heat a pan add the tomato ginger mixture, add about a glass of water to thin the mixture.
6. Add tamarind paste,pepper,salt ,tumeric and sugar and allow to boil for 3-4 minutes, till raw taste of tamarind is gone.
7. In a separate pan add oil/ghee and when hot add all the ingredients for seasoning and saute till mustard seeds start to pop.
8. Add the above seasoning to boiling tomato mixture.
9. Add generous dose of coriander and serve hot.
On an other note if you are a regular you must have observed that I changed my layout, looking forward to your comments on my layout it indeed was quite an effort to redo, I am very excited about it hope you guys would like it too.