Gooseberry Pickle - Usirikaya Pachadi
Gooseberries were my favorite treats growing up, marinated in salt water they were perfect snacks right after school.
Today's recipe I used frozen gooseberries, now fresh ones might be great but it made no difference at all. Extremely simple recipe requires very little prep time and makes for one satisfying pickle, keeps well for about a week or two refrigerated.
about 10 medium sized gooseberries
2tbsp urad dal
pinch of hing
2 tbsp jeera/cumin
2 tbp grated coconut
2-3 green chilies (adjust according to taste)
salt according to taste
1/4 th cup pf mint leaves
8-10 curry leaves
1/4 th cup coriander leaves
2 tbsp yogurt
1/2 tbsp cumin/jeera/urad
2-3 red chilies
about a tbsp oil
ping of hing
1. Cut the frozen gooseberries into small pieces add turmeric and salt and keep aside
2. In a pan add urad dal,hing,jeera and saute for few seconds
3. Now add marinated gooseberries, above toasted spices, green chillies,mint, coriander,curry leaves,coconut and grind into a fine paste.
4. Now add yogurt and run the processor/mixer once again
5. Check for salt and adjust accordingly.
6. heat a pan add oil and all the ingredients for thadka and saute till mustard seeds start to splutter.
7. Add the above to gooseberry yogurt mixture and mix well.