Monday, April 11, 2011

Mavidikaya Pulihora - Mango Rice

Mavidikaya Pulihora - Mango Rice
 Ugadi celebrations at home were low key, made traditional Ugadi Pachadi and mavidikaya pulihara as prasadam/offering. Well it sure was a challenge to get the kids out of home by 7.30 with lunches packed and then being able to get to work to attend an early meeting. Some times I think I work and feel like a robot, there is constantly something to do or attend to.

Coming to today's recipe mango rice is a favorite of mine, the raw and sour the mango the better rice taste, we how ever in bayarea are not fortunate  to get raw mangoes that taste sour, for most part the greenest of the mangoes taste sweet, yesterday's was no exception except it was not too sweet.

Ingredients

1 cup rice
1 raw mango peeled and grated
2-3 tbsp of lemon juice ( in case mango does not taste sour or has sweet flavor)
1 tbsp of turmeric

For seasoning
3 tbsp of oil
1 tbsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp urad dal
1 tbsp jeera
2-3 tbsp Channa dal
1/2 cup roasted peanuts
5-6 green chilies
2 tbsp of ginger finely chopped
pinch of hing
20 curry leaves

Process
1. Boil rice in a rice cooker add tbsp of oil or spray pam and allow to cook, adding oil will make rice not to get sticky.
2. Remove from cooker add haldi, grated mango and salt to the rice and mix till all of them are well incorporated. Keep aside and allow to cool down. You can leave for couple of hours and allow the flavors to soak in.


3. Now heat a pan add oil when oil is warm add all the ingredients mentioned for seasoning.
4. Saute till mustard starts to splutter, remove from heat and add to mango rice.

5. Mix seasoning well and adjust for salt, garnish with coriander leaves and serve.

This tastes even better as left over, wishing all of you belated Ugadi.

10 comments:

Priti said...

Yum ...who can say no to tangy mango rice..nice pic

Nandini said...

Wow! It looks very tangy and scrumptious! Great for lunch!

Sharmilee! :) said...

Wow tangy mango rice...yumm

Sathya Sankar said...

Mango rice looks yum, iam droolng over the pictures!

www.appetitetreats.com

Shanthi said...

Lovely recipe. I am not any great cook but I make this Mango rice and my kids eat without complaining :-). Just yesterday I got some raw mangoes and my daughter is coming home for Spring break so I am making it soon :-). Today I covered something close to my heart in my blog. Welcome :-)

KALVA said...

love this mango pulihora!! love the color

Siri said...

the photo is as yummy as I expected it to be when I read the title Sree. I am just back from Chipotle, my tummy full with burrito & I am hungry again - all becoz of you. ;-)

Hugs,
Siri

Jackie said...

Wow, this looks delicious and mango is one of my favorite fruits! Will definitely have to try this one!

Cynthia said...

Ouuu, there is so much to love here - the template is wonderfully soothing and the rice - oh yum!

Sound Horn Please said...

Yay! You are back in business :) Sri- I've been dreaming of mango rice for a while now. Mom is coming next month, I'm going to get her to make this- double happiness! We also have another version of this called chitranna where the mango and spices are ground and then mixed with semiya or rice. Happy ugadi to you too!

 
Web Statistics