Pani Poori - Goll Gappa
During spring break we were on an east coast trip, had a chance to meet up quite few friends.We stayed with one of our family friends close to DC, she and her family were such a sweet hearts and a generous hosts, the kind that make you feel right at home, had so much fun catching up .
The two days we stayed at their home we were treated to elaborate meals and much more, seriously being a generous host comes from the heart and I am grateful for having people like her in my life, Now when you have hosts who make pani poori for breakfast you know how much they care about you cause pani poori is a favorite of mine and my husband and we literally can have it breakfast,lunch or dinner, it was so delicious that writing about it makes me drool and wish she lived close by.
Tried to replicate the same at home, her version is from the city my husband and she grew up in Rourkela, key difference being pani/water is spicy unlike the sweet flavored version I am used too.
Pani poori is a classic street food in India, best part is every street stall that sells have a unique taste and you can never get tired of it.
Today’s recipe is semi homemade, I have used store brought Poori’s and sweet chutney and made green chutney and stuffing. Pani poori is very customizable that everyone has their own version stuffing which can range from sprouted green gram to boiled garbanzo beans to spiced potatoes.
To make spicy water
1 tbsp Cumin seeds
3-4 red chilies
MDH Pani poori masala
2 tbsp of tamarind paste
rock salt according to taste
2 tbsp chaat masala ( my favorite MDH)
1 cup of corriander/mint leaves
2 tbsp of jaggery or sugar
for Potato stuffing
3-4 potatoes boiled and peeled
2-3 green chillies slit very finely
1 cup red onions very finely sliced
1 cup grated carrot optionally can add boiled peas too
finely chopped coriander leaves
process for making green chutney
1. Dry roast cumin and red chilies and grind into a fine powder.
2. Grind coriander and mint leaves into a fine paste
3. Now in a large container add ground mint and coriander paste, ground cumin and r.chili powder,chaat masala,rock salt, tamarind paste, pani poori masala,jaggery and then add 3 cups of water and mix well and keep aside.
Process for making potato stuffing
1. In a mixing bowl add boiled potatoes,onions,green chilies,grated carrots and boiled peas add all the dry ingredients and mix well using some elbow grease :)
Now the best part assembling
1. take a pani poori make a hole of the flaky side of the poori
2. Stuff potato filling and then add green chutney, sweet chutney , top off with green onions and tomatoes.
Now best part try to eat the whole poori in one bite, the culmination of various flavors just makes it so worth the wait.